honest opinion on exmark ztrs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cntryboymc, Jun 8, 2004.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

as some of you may have read.ive had a lot of problems with my jd ztr.im starting to demo new mowers.i was wondering about some honest opinions on exmark machines.any info would be helpful.i tried a ferris this weekend and plan to try a scag,dixie,and the exmark.

2. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

have 18 - 2004 ztrs most with a 27 Kohler and 60" deck and a few with the 72" deck. they have between 200 and 300 hours since the start of the season. having trouble with one engine. its at the dealer now. they changed out some parts a few weeks ago but it looks like we got a lemon engine. the cut is superb especially compared to units we had a few years ago.

in the past we have run scags, ransomes, and exmarks. now we are dealing with exmark. they are built very well and have a very good distributor and dealer network.

3. image1

image1 LawnSite Member

Mike
    I have owned 8 exmarks and no complaints just your every now and then problems which are caused by employees ive replaced one hydro pump in 6 years and a few belts and one spindle 2 tires thats about it they are more pricey than a scag.
    I wouldnt switch for nothing and you cannot tear a deck up.
    I love them.

4. DR Lawn & Landscape

DR Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

As the others have replied ex's are a good machine but are pricy.
    find your newest Dixie Chopper dealer and test mow with one. I run the Dixies and have had no problems. i run them hard and fast and have put them through their test and they are tough.
    but remember one thing maintnenace is the key to maintaining any piece of equipment

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have owned two Exmark Lazer Z HP's. Had a lemon engine on the 2nd one but the first was very reliable and this one has been good otherwise. Cut quality is very good, they mulch well, and I agree they are nice mowers but a little more expensive than some others. Resale value was great on the first one I sold, btw.

6. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

i was told dixies had a poor cut in high grass.is that true?

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a walker before my 52" LZHP, i just didn't like the walker. it bagged well and cut pretty decent but it would not hold a hill, cut wet grass, wasn't nearly as fast and was very uncomfortable. as for the lazer, i've had to do nothing but normal repairs, it's not the fastest but it's enough for me, holds hills extremely well (more than i can to), the mulch kits rocks, the ultra vac is awesome, and if you are side discharging it'll look like striped carpet. i'd buy another one tomorrow if i had to replace mine, and at 925 hours, i have no plans to do in the near future.