honest opinions on garden wall

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by notapro, Sep 9, 2005.

1. notapro

notapro LawnSite Member

My house doing my first wall. I dug a 4inch trench filled with gravel leveled the bricks filled in the bottom row with sand, backfilled with gravel and put in garden soil. the pics show the wall unfinished it has been completed over a year now and continues around the house. the water drains through the bricks very well and the plants are doing extremly well. again Im not a pro by any means. your honest opinions are apreaciated good or bad let them fly. I do plan on doing another two walls in the future. thanks for looking

104 Started front garden.JPG

105 Started front garden.JPG

106 Started front garden.JPG

2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you took your time and leveled the walls up nicely. I only have a couple of suggestions...just food for thought!
    Add a few curves in a long straight length for character.
    I like to use landscape fabric behind the blocks to keep the dirt/mud in but allow drainage through the blocks.

Just ideas my friend!!!

3. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i like it i did one to only much bigger and it took 36 hours to get it done we ran into alot of problems :angry: like when we were taring down the old wall there was cement only 6 inches of dirt so we had to build in front of it then we ordered brick with 1/2 inch lip we had it all measured out then we found out that it was a 3/4 of an inch so then we had to mason glue them all down then we did an oval with them what a big mistake so much cuting its not even funny so that took a al most the work day 9 to 11 hours of work then we had to do flour beds to then when that was done we came back about a week later resurfacing a a walkway but when that was done loam work and planting wich took about 4 to 6 hours but when that was done payup :cool2: so it all worked out

4. notapro

notapro LawnSite Member

Hey great thanks very much. my future plans are to build another wall
    as me and the house behind me split the little strip of front yard. so I plan to raise my half to level it out to the bottom of the garden wall. do you suggest using weed fabric behind the blocks for grass as well? thanks again

5. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to use the fabric but many don't. It helps reduce the weeds for sure.

6. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

Well if your looking a cosmetic opinion, I think it looks very nice and professional. But that may not mean alot coming from me. :)

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

looks real good. wall looks like quality craftsmanship, however I would have chosen a different style of bricks. I dont like those bricks mainly because they look cheap IMO, when in fact they're pretty expensive. I would have used Alan block. 3 tier with cap,

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

is it an optical illusion or did you not level the base? it appears that the blocks are not level on the right side. They sit on an angle parallel to the ground?

9. notapro

notapro LawnSite Member

no its level the yard slopes up at that end I dug a trench and leveled all of it prior to installing any bricks. yes I know the bricks are not the best but they are nice really sets off the house. thanks for the opinions guys