Honest opinions Snapper vs. toro 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Oct 9, 2007.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I want your honest opinions and field experience. Which 21" machine has made you more productive, gives the best cut, is easy to maintain, and lasts the longest? Which would you say? Toro or snapper.
    Lets see some results and opinions.

2. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about Toro but snapper commercail is pretty decent. just do not mow damp grass and expect to do it quickly you will be clearing grass from the chute that goes to the bad quite a bit. Other than that mine has had the dog run out of it and still mows very well.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

toro! snapper is a huge pos in desighn and cut quality. snapper is good only for leaf cleanup

4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

We have had very good luck with the Toro product. Nice stripe, and runs out for a long time. I have never used a Snapper 21, so they may be a good machine as well. The Toro machines have started every time.

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have three 21"s right now. two snappers and a toro w/ suzuki. I might get the toro honda for next year and sell a snapper.

6. Chuckie481

Chuckie481 LawnSite Member

Hey S man
    I have been watching and waiting for the same honest opinions on these 21 inch mowers.I have searched and printed most of the responses regarding 21 inch Toros and Snappers that interested me that might help in the decision but still find myself kicking tires and asking questions of the owners of both products. I don't live very far from Kenner. I have been to Joe's (yesterday) and Vaughan's (yesterday also) trying to decide and get a feel for which one I should get and which one will fill my needs. The Toro looks to be more solidly built and I have been reading about the "cut" and some say they like the Snapper because it's great during the leaf season but "cut" quality is lacking compared to the Toro. Since I do mostly residentials and bag and would like to mulch more..... Toro seems to be the ticket.I was told get the mulching deck with hi-vac and no BBC to have the best of both worlds .I presently have a Crapsman with a Honda engine that is losing or braking plastic parts everyday. Wish you luck in your search for which fits your needs.

Chuckie

7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Which snapper are you looking at are you sure the toro is more solid? I have seen both I use a snapper and man I have abused it and still cuts great without skipping grass. It is very solidly built for a 21 inch mower

8. Chuckie481

Chuckie481 LawnSite Member

The commercial Snapper Hi-vac with the Kawasaki engine.

Chuckie

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapper commercial hi-vac w/ steel wheels (bearings), pushes very easy & cuts& stripes well, will clog in chute w/ very tall wet grass, but so will toro. I switched from snapper to toro self propel w/ suzuki engine (that was a lonnnnnnnnng time ago). The toro's were too heavy to push, IMHO did NOT bag anywhere as well, but that machine was also a tank.

If you do more mulching... the toro is better suited. I think the snappers bag better & push easier.
    BTW, I have used both machines for over 5 years. Anymore, we go w/ the lb commercial throw-aways. $400 or so & they get more beat up on the trailer than by use.

10. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't owned a Toro, so I can't comment on how well they perform. I have owned several 21" Snappers and have have excellent service out of all of them. If you're bagging or picking up leaves I believe the hi-vac Snapper is probably the best. If you are mulching, the Snappers don't do as well as some other brands out there but they'll get the job done. We use an Easy Speed Snapper with a ninja blade for our every day trim mower because it's light weight and easy to handle. The commercial hi-vac doesn't see much use because we don't bag very often.