Honest opinions wanted! No BS.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coolluv, Nov 12, 2006.

1. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Alright, I have been wanting a backpack blower for next season and have been reading alot on this site about the different models and the power differences. I have come to the conclusion that its between the redmax and the Stihl. I'm the type of person that has to research everything until I feel Ive done all I could and then make the purchase. Well I feel like the Br600, the redmax 7001 and the new 8001 are what most people like and seem to have good and bad things about them but nothing is going to please everybody out there. We all have different body types and we are all individuals. Anyway, I talked to my dealer, actually the dealers tech who works on all the equipment that comes in and who's opionion that I really trust. He has no reason to lie to me because he does not sell anything and is very objective in his views. I just started in this business and he has been my go to guy for my questions after I have done my own research. The dealer I go to sells only Hustler and Redmax. I bought my Super Z from them and I bought a Redmax short-shaft hedge trimmer that I really love. Well after doing my own research I finally thought that I would give him a call and ask what his opinions on the Stihl Br600 and the new 8001 Redmax were. He told me that the 8000 are always in the shop for repairs. I said well I was under the impression that the new 8001 had all the bugs worked out and were a better machine. He said the are having the same problems with the 8001. I asked him about the Br600 and he told me that he did not like the new 4 mix and that the valves would have to be adjusted every year. He recommended that I go with the 7001 because they hardly ever come in to get worked on. He said they were pretty much bullet proof. After talking with him I now think I will get the 7001 Redmax. He told me I could demo the 7001 for a day and he would let me try out a 8001 in the parking lot but at this time they don't have an 8001 I could take out for a day. I just want a good dependable blower. I have no brand loyalty, when I buy something I try to buy quality tools. I know this has been asked alot on hear but I would really like to hear from you guys that use these models and especially from the 8001 Redmax users.

Thanks for your help, Dave.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I am waiting till next fall to get the 8001, that way there they will have the bug gone. Ive had a 600 for two seasons and love it, adjusting the vales once a year is easy and i dont think you will need to do it until two years.

I think you need to demo the blowers then decide.
  3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

like John has said... try to get a demo of them... im going to probably buy a Stihl because theres no place near me that i know of that sells Redmax. everyone around here sells Stihl so its easier to get parts and service.
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

You sound a lot like me, Dave. I can't stand the thought of buying something expensive and then finding out later I should have gotten something else.

I've had 7000's and 8000's. My first 8000 did indeed have problems. It literally ran like crap whenever the outside temps. were over 80 degrees. Several people here on lawnsite had the same problem. RedMax actually traded my unit for a new one and it has run absolutely flawless since I've had it. It's been about 8 months now. The 7000's were fine but when the 8000 came out, I was glad to "move up".

To sum it up, if someone stole my 8000 tonight, I'd be at the dealership tomorrow getting a new one. I really wouldn't want to go through the trouble of trying out another brand. And whenever the 9000's come out, I'll be there as well. :laugh:
  5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

It's just a backpack blower......I buy what ever.. they all last about the same amount of time. 3 years or so with employee's handling them. Plus it only 500 buck over 3 or 4 years.
  6. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

hey coolluv i was just at a maruyama dealer yesterday and they have a really great product. you should check them out
  7. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

The Maruyama's appear to be a "sleeper". You don't see alot of them because of dealer support. But from people that use them I hear nothing but good things. I am getting ready to purchase their extended Hedge Trimmers.They also have a blower comparable in power to Sthil Br600 and Redmax 8000. Their engines are Kawasaki which I like.
  8. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

dave, you are doing the right thing by researching out what to buy. there is nothing worse than having a brand new piece of crap that you cannot do anything with. in the backpack blower dept. i have had very good service from an echo pb651t and i have just purchased a redmax 7001 backpack blower. in my opinion if you are going to buy redmax i would stay away from anything that is strato charged and go with the pure two stroke like the 7001. so far i like the 7001 but time will tell. i am not really an echo guy but i will have to admit my pb651 is very reliable and i would buy another. i cannot see a $100 dollar difference between the 7001 and the 8001 after using one doing a leaf clean-up. i have a strato charged redmax weedeater that is a complete piece of junk and happens to be in the shop as i type. personally i believe the good ole days of quality two stroke equipment are gone.....clay
  9. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

The Redmax 7001 is essentially the same as the Shindaiwa EB630 BUT the Redmax has a better air filtration system. I prefer Shindaiwa's equipment and they have all been bullet proof for me. Plenty of power and control. Just how much of a blower do you need? Just several years ago these were the biggest, baddest you could buy....

In addition, the Shindaiwa blower parts are available through J-Thomas.com Since the Redmax 8001 and the big Shindaiwa 4 mix blowers came out, used prices on the older units have dropped, making them a real deal. Check out Ebay if you care to. Search for either unit in very good USED condition and be in the profit much sooner.
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you are looking into getting one now, I would look into either the 8000 or 7001. Both have been on the market and have the bugs out of them (knock on wood). The 8000 has not been out as long as the 7001 so if you are still a skeptic about the 8000, I would go for the 7001. JMO