Honestly.. Strappin down your equipment???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 17, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

Are you strapping down your equipment or should the emergency break on these be enough between lawns???

2. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I always secure my equipment I have to much invested in it not to.

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I havnt straped down my new mower(hydro walkbehind) since I relized the parking break is good enough. I use to alwas strap the belt drive down cuase the breaks tend to still allow the mower to shift. I now just put the hydro behind it to lock it in place

4. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Depends on how far I have to go to the new lawn.

5. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a ratchet strap and a come-along to hold my mower down.

Most of the time. :angel:

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

GRASSYFRAS

"I havnt straped down my new mower(hydro walkbehind) since I relized the parking break is good enough."

Good enough for what? If you are in an accident (even minor) that mower will fly off or across the trailer, and you will have twisted metal.

My policy for myself and employees is that if you hung the truck/trailer upside down with a crane, every machine and mower would stay with it. Every weedeater, every zero turn, ditto my $53,000 Wide-Area-Mower.

Son you will learn to secure your load, either from a fat ticket for failure to secure load, or the even bigger heartache of wasted equipment. (Unfortunately I learned the hard way...twisted metal).

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

"Depends on how far I have to go to the new lawn."

BrianK10...

Those are famous last words....uttered just before your mower becomes "twisted metal"

Bent the deck on a walk behind, was going a couple blocks, had to slam on my brakes to avoid rear ending a POLICE CAR I failed to notice stopped in front of me.

Police car...not hit, mower....twisted metal.

8. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

In Indiana i do believe its the law to have your load secured , if not and your stopped its a hefty fine besides why wouldnt you strap down your hefty investment , it only takes me 30 seconds to secure a ztr and 2 walks , whats 30 seconds compared to losing about 15 grand worth of mowers in a split second .

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Son?? :rolleyes:

I want to see those mowers escpecially that wide area mower stay on that trailer when hung upside down with a crane. Chain binders wouldn't hold that mower secure upside down.

I only tie down the z turns when traveling on the interstates and thats not too often. All the small stuff gets tied down when traveling from job to job.

10. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I allways secure my equipmet. Last year I did'nt really have any racks for my blower, line trimmer, edger, gas tanks etc, so I had to bungee them all down every time I left a job site. Also strapped my wb down with ratchet straps. This year it will be a lot easier with my trimmertrap stuff :cool2: , still have to rachet the wb down though.