Honestly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by supercuts, Dec 14, 2007.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i know this is about plows, but it can pertain to all equiptment purchased in landscaping, including mowers. i bought a new truck last month and was debating between a meyer and fisher. right or wrong, not the point of this thread, i chose the meyer. when i started calling for prices, 2 dealers tried to get me to buy a western instead. I asked them why and they stated westerns are much better plows. when asked "whats better?" they got kinda quite and one finally said, "because it pivots on the A-frame so when you angle it its stays flat. ok, one good point.

But then i got thinking. I was at the Big E this year, largest fair in New England, and i was speaking to plow dealers there. 2 dealers there sold several different brands each including western. one told me he wouldnt sell me one because they are junk, the other said, "well, i dont like'm but they have the most markup and i make more off of them."

point is, were these two dealers i called for a meyer plow trying to sell me a western because they HONESTLY think they are better plows or because they are making alot more off of them over the meyer??? same holds true with equiptment. when you go in and ask which is best, how do we know??

love to hear some comments

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, fact of life. Most people are going to push what makes them the most money. Sad but true. If you actually have a good relationship with a dealer, then MAYBE you can trust them to give you honest opinions...

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Western used to be built heavier and have fewer issues with the pumps and controllers. The playing field is leveling out now but it is hard for meyer to shake the bad rep. Even with that said---many plowers (myself included) have a lot of meyer stuff from the '70s and '80s so we stick with them for parts interchangeability. We do have an old western setup from the early '80s that is more reliable than our newest meyer straight blade (5 years old now)

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

ive plowed with both and the meyer left me stranded more than once. one plow was brand new only second or third time it had been out, very cold night like -5- -10 the solenoids on the pump froze up had to g sit in the shop for an hour to let them thaw. both of my trucks run western and have for 5 years now i feel they are much more reliable then meyer will ever be.