Honeymoon in July

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brentsawyer, May 11, 2004.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I work solo and have for the past year. Currently I have about 60 lawns that take me about 3 1/2 days to cut. I have a 52" Tiger Cub that is on all lawns except the back yards where there are small gates that I haven't expanded and use a 36" WB about 1.5 hours total a week. The first week in July I will be getting married and my fiance insisted that we go immediately on a honeymoon and we are and have the deposit payed and that is going to be the way it is. My best man is also self employed as a remodeler/builder and offered to take of my lawns whille I was gone. It should be no problem since he used to mow lawns himself. He usually earns about the same as I do hourly with a crew that he has sometimes.

What I need to decide is what is fair payment for him for the week. Basically he will be using all my equipment and will have my card for gas, etc. All other work will be delayed for the week as far as landscaping goes though. As far as ongoing business expenses that I have major ones are storage unit, two trucks, and insurance.

My only other choice is to try and find someone else to mow the lawns and that could be a real chore.

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I'd reschedule wedding for mid August. IMO

3. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Rescedule to August and there goes about $4,000 on all deposits made and havoc on alot of peoples Forth of July weekend plans that are out of state.

See your from Lex, rained out for a little while? Athens got 4" late yesterday afternoon, had an account at Blue Sky that I had to mow and was unaware of the monsoon that came throught, funny thing is Jacobson Park 3 miles away didn't get a drop.

4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Since your plans are concrete, hope for a dry spell! lol
    I always mow all the lawns as close to the departure date as possible, and since grass usually slows down then you should be ok for 9-12 days on the majority.
    We had litle if any rain, it all seemed to be on the east side. Also you all got hail, so glad it missed us.

GW

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Yea i'd say mow them right before the wedding then he might not have to do them or only half.

I'd give him a percentage of the yards he does so he doesnt f off and get hourly (seen it done too many time) .

6. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

If he is using your truck then give him 30% of the gross. If he uses his truck give him 40%

My question is, do you think it is going to get better with time since it seems your soon to be wife set up this wedding and honeymoon fiasco without any input from you. I can't wait to hear how long it takes before you are completely submissive to her.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Honeymoon in January in Honolulu would be the way to go...