Honeysuckle Removal in woods

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Gravely76, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Gravely76

Gravely76 LawnSite Member

I am trying to find an efficient way to remove a large number of honey suckle plants from the woods on family farm in southwest Ohio.

We have used a Stihl FS90 with metal blade and am thinking of using a 2 wheel Gravely with circular saw attachment on the front.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

you have to get the roots or it will be back in no time

3. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Roundup ( or equal ) on the sprouts that come back up.

4. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

And to think, you guys are trying to kill them and I got 8 of them planted on the fence row hoping to make a privacy fence out of um :laugh:

My hope is to engineer something ontop of the fence for them to climb up say 10 feet.

zoning laws say you can't have a fence higher then 6 feet, we'll OK, fence is 4' and the other 6' is a plant :cool2:

5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Gravely,
    To get rid of the stuff, you can use round-up but it is hard to kill the entire root clump.
    Try using a Triclopyr product.

Kirk,
    I understand your plight of a privacy problem. The only thing to think about is over the years, Lonicera will crumble any oak fence and is even more devastating to a chain link fence. The vines will deteriorate the wood and the chain link will corrode with the acids in the plant. It is a lose-lose situation...!

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Honeysuckle is so invasive, it is on the table in the NYS senate as a candidate for a new "do not sell" law that will be on the books soon.

7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Whitey,
    I like that law...................Honeysucke grows wild here as the birds don't help with the scattering of the material in nests. It just takes a node to make this stuff spread to the next lawn.
    My wife wants me to buy some and plant it on our Arbor's.........instead I bought Jasmine! She can get over it!!!!!!

8. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

cut honeysuckles and wipe with tordon rtu .dont get heavy handed with the stuff ,it is very water soluable. apply asap ,do not wait all day to apply .

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Jasmine down here is an invasive.

10. don't laugh but get some goats, they will clean it up in no time.