Hook Lift Trucks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Kgrebs, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Kgrebs

Kgrebs LawnSite Member

Anybody using hook lift style trucks?

2. Kgrebs

Kgrebs LawnSite Member

All right I feel like a Jack... ah Donkey! After looking over the site and searching there is a lot of information about hook lifts and switch and go's. But what I want to know is what do you guys fell is best. superior and worth its weight in gold!

3. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Can't comment on switch and go, but my swaploader hook lift sure simplified my operation. Mine's a 22K unit and currently have an 18' flatbed with dovetail for equipment, and a light duty roll off container for rubbish hauling and such. More bodies are likely in the future.

The initial investment is relatively high its true. But, saying goodbye to trailers...and the associated licensing and maintenance costs helps ease the pain.

And the wow factor is high. Helps justify the exorbitant hourly rates I get on most jobs :D

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

ive been looking and will purchase a swaploader. they seem to lift more and everyone has no complaints about them...

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on what you are doing and what size truck you want to run if you are a high production container business where your hauling the 40 yard bins then conventional rails and reeving winch is the way to go.

If you are a small time operation with a small 10 yard bins etc and your doing small jobs and need a multi purpose truck a Hooklift hoist is for you. Conventional rails are cheaper to buy easier to maintain but a conventional rail system doesn't make a very good dump truck unless its a dead lift system.

If I was going to run a 1.5-3 ton truck say something upto a 20,000lb gvw it would be a hooklift. A bigger single axle rolloff like a 5 ton there really isn't enough work for one a person would be better off with a tandem with 22' conventional rails.

6. Kgrebs

Kgrebs LawnSite Member

Guys thanks for the information. Does anyone have some photos of thier set ups.

7. nac

nac LawnSite Member

It all depends on what you need it for? I have a 20,000 lb Amprioll hook lift and I love it for my application moving my mini excavator around with out a trailer it is great i also do demo and i have 3 box's for it. But it is to small for me so I will be keeping it move equipment and light demo but am looking into getting a 75,000 triaxle roll off.

DSC00628.1.JPG