Hooked a big one

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lance587, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Lance587

Lance587 LawnSite Member

I finally got a big job and I'm hoping this will sort of jump start my business for this season. However, I'm 17 years old. I need to know about augers. I need approximately 40 large tree holes dug and I figure this is the fastest way. Would it be easier to go with an auger attachment that goes on a bobcat or should I just go with a high powered auger? Also, I have no experience with a bobcat so I figure that'd be a problem too.
    I am also stuck at finding the final price. All of my expenses add up to approximately $2,200. The customer has purchased $8,000 worth of plants and trees at $2,000. They know the nursery owner so he hooked 'em up at wholesale. However, they are almost bankrupt because they've spent so much of their money on upgrades for their new home. They've purchased approx. 40 trees and over 150 plants and shrubs(mostly 5-10 gallon). Any ideas on a scale for how much I should charge based on those specs.? They had a plan drawn up for them and the lady did an outstanding job with the plan. It's a 3 day project. If you have anymore questions about the job, respond and I'll answer them.

2. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

becareful what you dig

cables,pipes, etc

3. Lance587

Lance587 LawnSite Member

yea i forgot to include that on there too. when the homeowners puchased the land and put a house on it, they were smart enough to have all wires go through one central location and even enclosed the wires in a pipe.

4. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

you still got gas pipes and water pipes

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't this your answer right here? What do you charge per hour? .

6. Lance587

Lance587 LawnSite Member

how much do you recommend I charge for this type of job per hour? I've always done small projects on the side and mostly regular lawn maintenance

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't recommend a number. I have no idea about your operation or your immediate demographics. Sorry

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems as if this customer has reached the limit of what they want to spend. How do you know you got the job if you didn't give them a price? :dizzy: I don't know what you NEED to charge to make a profit, so if you can send me your P&L statements, your balance sheets, and your tax returns I will look them over and give you a price. I think you should stick to what you are good at.

Chris

9. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Your surely not going to do this yourself in 3 days are you? If that's not a typo and your planting 150 shrubs that are in 5-10 gallon containers plus 40 trees, which I'm assuming if the owner spent the bucks on those large shrubs, he probably bought big trees as well.

:( I'm an old man... it would take 3 of me to do this job in 3 days..

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

My wife and I have planted 100 or so 1/2 gal size shrubs in just a couple of hours using a gas powered hand auger but that aint going to cut it if you are planting 5 and 10 gal size containers. Best bet is to rent a bobcat with a big auger. Be sure to include rental fees along with your hourly costs plus your profit margin and theres your price. Also, if they are about bankrupt, how do you know you are going to be paid? Your 17 so you probably cant enter into a legal contract, I would be careful on this one.