1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hooked up Brake Controller and it throws sparks??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Feb 16, 2012.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Guys,

Got my Hopkins Affinity proportional controller several days back, and installed it in my 06 Dakota. Had the Dakota factory harness with the truck, and spliced the wires with the controller wires. Double checked it to make sure I wired it up right. Completely sealed the crimp and go connectors with black elec tape. Then I plugged the controller in., screwed the mounting bracket to the underside of my dash. Finally, I went to screw in the controller to the mounting bracket, and to my surprise, when I insert the screws, I get sparks?!? Huh?

Not sure what is happening, anyone have ideas? The controller appears to be working as I can activate my truck brake lights by pushing the override button on the controller. Have not tried it on my trailer yet as I do not have it yet.

Something that should have taken 20 minutes to do is now a pain.....

2. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

A short, or you mixed up pos and neg.

Mick

3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Brake controller for pulling a 5x8 trailer? Or did you get a bigger trailer?

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

No I have on order a 7x14 dual axle enclosed.

Also, not sure how I could have mixed up the wiring, checked and double checked it. And my truck's brake lights are activated by pushing the override button on the controller, which suggests I did wire it up right. I am a bit confused by this.......

5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

And that's why everyone recommended the P3 with a $15 harness lol.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

I suppose I deserve this....BUT I would expect the difference to be in performance if anything, not just hooking the dang thing up.

7. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Yeah, I agree. I was just giving you a hard time. I stick with what works and I don't do wiring, sorry.

8. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Haha, damn you beat me to it.

Sounds like you have the brake output hooked up to the brake light input. Which would mean that you have at least one other connection f'd up too.

9. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

The chief of research has a issue. If wiring is good then the money saved for nothing. Hard to return electrical items.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

It may not be the unit IDK. Just wondering if anyone has had such an issue. It might be my truck too. So far u guys not much help but I'll keep the faith.....