Hooker or Millcreek Aerators????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Sep 16, 2001.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm looking for people who have hands on experience and personal eyewitness accounts of how either of these two aerators work. JRCO Hooker and Millcreek.

I know its been discussed before but I am looking for a little input now (9-2001) since the JRCO aerator has been out for a couple of seasons now. I saw a Millcreek at expo but didn't get to use it. JRCO was there but they were not outside in the demo area, so I need you to help.

Does anyone use the JRCO Hooker aerator and what is your experiences? What is good, what is not good? Have any changes been made in the design in the last year?

On the same note, does anyone use a Millcreek Aerator? Same q's as above?

Has anyone tried or SEEN both and how do they compare?

BTW I have a Walker 26GHS but I know these can be used on other mowers.

Please only respond if you have personal experience as I am looking to buy for my Walker and am trying to gather first hand knowledge. I appreciate everyones opinion but I really want to hear from actual hands on experiences. ThanksOnce again, please respond with any first hand experience dealing with these two aerators, Thanks

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mow Ed,

I bought the Mill Creek this year.
    I liked the fact that I could poke the front mount into anywhere the Walker would go. Even got it into backyards the Walker wouldn't fit with th 42" deck on it (39 inches wide at the tires). I had to load 120-150 lbs. ( I used backs of concrete inside mesh seed bags with a rope wrapped around to hold onto) on the front and equal amount in the GHS catcher to work well (soil/sand filled seed bags). It is built very well and pulled plugs an average of 2-2.25 inches--more on moist soil and less on dry. Turning was difficult and on smaller properties a forward pass and backing up at an agle to line up with the next row was easier than lifting and turning, but that wasn't tough anyhow. It has 40 spoons across a 36" wide area (with the forward and back pass it pulled lots o plugs).

Drawback is the obvious having to remove the cutting deck to aerate. I also noticed the added stress on the machine while using. I wish it lifted higher in the up position for trailering and rolling up driveway aprons at an angle (it would always hit so I kept a piece of 4x4 1/2 inch plywood to dig into).

The guy that does a neighbor of mine used a towbehind and cut while aerating with the Walker. It was fast, but he didn't make an effort to get into smaller areas or back into corners. He also had to get off to raise and lower the spoons so he wound up drilling across concrete and asphalt drinveways (I think that would do damage to both).

I am not sure, but I think that there would be more stress on the machine with a front mount. Pulling is always easier than pushing, especially while turning. Has me worried for the long run. (any input on that issue would be appreciated)

Bottom line for me: It takes longer than the pull behind/cutting combo, but can be used anywhere the Walker goes and does do a great job.

Hope this helps.

jeffyr

3. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

we currently use a jrco front mount.we have pretty good results with it.there are some drawbacks,we have rock hard clay and it does have a tendency to jump around.i have not put any weight on the mower to drop the front.we usually wait untill wet days or call our customers at least 1 hour before we get there so they can run the irregation system.if you purchase this unit get the electric lift it works really good and i have not had any electrical demons