Hooking into supply line

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

New install, well/pump supplying building and sprinkler system. Supply line from well was ran inside building to pressure tank, etc. there is no line coming back out for sprinklers. I had contractor install a shutoff and supply line for irrigation outside of building. So, supply for irrigation tee's off before supply line goes inside building.
    Question is: Is this a proper way to do this or not? I am getting some conflicting input. One person says that by getting supply before the pressure tank/switch you will create problems via water flowing "backwards" to irrigation supply, and possibly creating air pocket's, etc. on inside plumbing. Another person says, what difference does it make, pressure switch kicks on, your going to get water.
    Both of these people have experience, I have little, I don't want to screw it up, so what do you say?:hammerhead:

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Heh.

Your supply pipe from the well to pressure tank is in reality a little pressure tank too. The guy telling you water goes backwards is probably a plumber isn't he? :dizzy:

Ask him this:

"In a completely sealed line, where is the air pocket going to come from?"

:)

Your tap is fine, btw you can put the pressure tank anywhere on the plumbing, it just makes most sense to put after the well but before the house plumbing.

3. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

whether your before or after is not going to matter unless there is a check valve between your tee and the pressure switch

4. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Don't think there is a check valve, but I'll double check. And actually, the guy telling me it wouldn't work, is a major sprinkler contractor, me? I'm just a rookie!

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I can count on one hand the major sprinkler companys I've met that have anyone that has any competancy.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of check valves we had a site lose half its irrigation water and it became a big mystery. Everything was fine prior to having the pump worked on by an outside company. Myself and one of the plumbers started tracing things and discovered two hydrolic-activated check valves in a large concrete vault about 20' from the pressure tank and after the RP device. After opening a 1/4" brass butterfly valve (similar to an ice maker line hookup) near the pressure tank all worked well. It had been inadvertently shut down by the contractor during their work.