1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hooking up a heavy trailer to the reciever ball

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by j-ville native, Nov 21, 2011.

1. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys hook up your heavy trailers to your truck. I just got a new trailer and my old one was a little 5'x8' that I could just lift and drop on the receiver ball. My new trailer is too big and heavy to do this. My options that I came up with are:

1. back-up camera on rear of truck
    2. A magnet and stick on the trailer hitch to show me where I need to be when backing the truck up
    3. Keep getting out of the truck and checking where I'm at and where I need to be
    4. Have a helper direct me

I don't like these choices much especially choices 3 & 4. So what ideas ya got for me? Thanks
  2. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

oh yeah one more idea but I don't like it either. picking up empty trailer and dropping it on truck's reciever and then drive mowers onto it
  3. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

We have a mark on the trailer to line up with but we also use a magnatic flag that we put on the trailer hitch to know when we are in place .
  4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

They make a hitch that you just have to get close to in order to hook up...I'll try to find it again.

For my dump trailer I just back up using my mirrors and can usually get centered on it pretty well and then just get out to see how much further back I need to go.

Most people just have a wheel on their jack stand so they can move the trailer a bit...doesn't work for me since I have no pavement anywhere in sight on my property.

P.S. - http://www.williamsinnovations.com/mkt-commercial.html
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  5. psdnate

psdnate LawnSite Member

Back straight up to the trailer and using your mirrors keep the trailer sticking out the same on both sides. Back up slowly until the trailer hits your hitch and then pull forward just a little. That's what I do anyway.
  6. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Learn how to use your mirrors and back up properly would be my best advice. I do it everyday with no problems. You have to learn how to use reference points in your mirrors and remember them.
  7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

8. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

haha we unhook our skid trailer often at sites also, Usually comes down to a few methods.

Use a rear camera OR
    Try to pull in straight before you unhook
    Before you unhook, line yourself up with something like a curb or a tree. (Like tyler Said)

I never have bought any of those "ammeture" trailer hooker'(upper) helpers.
    After a while i just caught on to it.
  9. greentech2007

greentech2007 LawnSite Member

Guess i've hooked and uhooked mine enough times i just back up to it and usually am pretty close. Would be cool to see how one of them cameras work.

Just keep hooking up to it and you soon will need no aids too help.
    Posted via Mobile Device