Hooking up recovery/tow straps?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, Dec 5, 2009.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Over the past few winters I have had to pull out a few family members and friends from snowbanks/small ditches. They have been nothing major, just pulling them back to an area where they can gain some traction. I have been very fortunate in that the few vehicles I have towed out have had tow hooks of some sort on them that I could hook up to. But what if they don't have any recovery/tow hooks on them anywhere? Where is the best place to hook up to?

I won't be doing anything major and I usually only do this kind of thing for friends and family. Just trying to figure the best ways to hook up to a vehicle.

2. ryde307

ryde307 LawnSite Senior Member

Anything solid you can get at. Frame, axle, core support, I've even hooked into stuff under the hood.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I thought someone told me once not to hook up to the axle, I don't remember though for sure.

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

If its in the snow the car should have hooks, or it doesn't belong in the snow to begin with. All cars have a place on the sub frame around the bumpers or you may have to take a square clipped in piece of plastic off on the front or back bumpers.

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct on the front. It can damage the vehicle. Frame is the safest place.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Your supposed to hook to the grill or the winshield wipers the strongest part of the car :laugh:

When in doubt call a tow truck it will save you money and save the person your pulling out damage as you yank out the front suspension.

7. ryde307

ryde307 LawnSite Senior Member

THe axle is not really a choice for 99% of cars but trucks suvs its there if you need it. As with all the not "normal" tow points not made for jerking a burried car out just for light pulls to help them get out.

8. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

If there arnt any tow hooks tell them to call a wrecker. Because if you dont know what your doing and you end up damaging there vehicle you may be resposable for the damage.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic