Hooking up wiring for electric hose reel...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Oct 25, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Does anyone have any pics under the hood and of the wiring running to the back of the truck for a skid sprayer? I need some assistance...any help appreciated.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

dont have pictures but will try to help, I also live in Indy so if we can meet if necessary. you will need to mount a circut breaker with a reset button under the hood with a cable from the pos battery cable, then from the reset to the silenoid on the hose reel and ground the hose reel to the frame of the truck. hope this helps. you can email me at indyturf@yahoo.com if you need more help.

3. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

I'll try to explain this.
    From the positive side of battery, run a wire to a 40 amp circuit breaker, from the other post of the breaker, run a wire to the solenoid. The post you hook this wire to is the thicker one which has a wire that runs to the push button switch. Then what you need to do is ground the reel motor to your truck. There should be a wire that is attached to the frame, you'll most likely need to extend that to your truck bed.

For a picture of what i am talking about goto this link:
    http://www.lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=420&.pdf

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

should probably add that since there is such a big electrical draw from the reel, you will want to run a heavy gauge wire, both for the feed and for the ground. I prefer 6 gauge for this job, but I'm sure others have their own thoughts..lol..I also prefer an auto reseting breaker to a push button style, but that's me. Running heavy wire will prevent the wire itself from superheating and probably eliminate the majority of potential trips on the breaker. IF you decide you don't need a breaker ( a cheap part at most autoparts stores), perhaps a warning about what can happen if your live lead wire contacts the truck bed. Welding the wire to the bed is a distinct possibility along with an instant discharge of your battery and possibly eating your alternator and truck's electrical system with it.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a hard time finding a 40 amp breaker/fuse box in auto parts stores.

Strangely enough, a local car stereo installation shop was the only place around that had it.

As Green said, you should use 6 gauge wire.

6. bluemoon7

bluemoon7 LawnSite Member

I actually have my sprayer mounted on a trailer, but you can make it work for the back of a truck too.... I ran 4 awg wire, with a 40 amp fuse and put in a battery connector for a forklift (got it form Grainger) and then ran it to the sprayer.... the best part is when you take the sprayer out you can just unplug it and not have a "hot" wire laying in the back of your truck. Pm me if you needed pics or if anyone else is interested let me know.