Hoooooray for Jack Frost!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Oct 27, 2006.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Jack Frost came to visit last night and that is a good thing. This means the lawns will slow or stop growing and the leaves will fall faster! After the coastal storm this weekend there will be leaves everywhere next week. Why so happy? Becasue the earlier the leaves are done falling the earlier we can all finish our fall clean-ups. Sweeet. The last few years have been a little late with snow then falling in early Dec. I love being done done done before Christmas.
    Like the 'dead' guy in the cart in 'The Holy Grail'- "I feel happy!"

I now open the floor to comments, questions, and of course- criticisms.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I feel the same way. We were out last year until January, after the snow fell.
    I just hate when the season drags on like that b/c i don't bring in any sustantail amout of revenue after November, so I really just don't want to be bothered, with the cold weather unless im behind the wheel in a blizzard.

3. lawnguyland

Really? Little income after nov? December is huge for me because I bill for all the fall clean-ups then. In november I charge weekly, usually 3 weeks and then after Thanksgiving it's final fall clean-ups. I'm zone 7 though so you may have a shorter seaon.
    And yeah, cleaning frozen leaves in Jan is the pits. I don't want to think about clean-ups I have to do during Christmas and New Year's . Don't care if it snows though, more $ for me!

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Leaves + Snow = Big Time $$$ :clapping:

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Is it your first frost? Out here is was about our 4. May be we had more than that. I just got in from mowing my neighbors lawn and I noticed a lot of leaves had fallen. For me cleanup + mowing + leaves = payup payup payup

6. lawnguyland

Yes, first frosty day..mmmmmmm, frosties. I'm probably a lot closer to the city and it's vast amount of radation storing concrete. Nassau queens border. Even last night's frost wasn't too hard and only showed damage to certain annuals in exposed locations.

7. rodfather

We had a real hard frost this am...needed the scrapers for the windshields. My guys couldn't get on a lawn before 9.

8. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

why couldn't you mow when it was frozen?

serious question.

9. rodfather

If you run any kind of equipment across grass that has frost on it, you kill it...period.

10. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

whoops.

i cut a whole bunch of it 2 weeks ago.

seems to be diong fine yet