Hoooray, I got stopped by Consumer Affairs in Nassau County!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnguyland, Mar 29, 2006.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I was happy about it. Actually, they stopped where I was working and asked for my license, which of course I have. He checked the orange sticker on my truck and then asked if I had my license with me. I was like, huh? You mean the piece of paper, he said yeah. I said it's on the wall in my office where I thought it was supposed to be, but apparently you also need a copy of it with you. I had no idea about that, I thought that's what the sticker was for. Silly me, but he was cool since I am licensed and have the sticker. Now I have a copy in my truck.

I say hooray because it's the first time EVER that I've seen anyone enforcing ANY law rearding licensing/ DEC around here. It's good to know they're actually checking. Maybe they will bust some ass, put some (dare I say) scrubs out of business and level the playing field. I told him I was happy to see him, he was very nice. I say go get 'em all. If everyone was legit (license/ins/taxes) we'd all be much better off. So watch out you undocumented suckers on Long Island, the MAN is on the prowl.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If he came down here there would only be a Few companies left...Boy that would be something.

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

That would be just fine. If we are going to pay the money then it would be nice to see some results behind it. I know that the laws are meant to protect the consumer, but if enforced it protects legit biz from competing with fly by's.

4. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

where in long island you cut.. you are the first person ive ever heard get pulled over in our county lol

5. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad things went well for you with the "inspector" you are 100% right in your statement about "if eveyone was legit." I wish it would happen around here.

6. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I heard they were pulling people over in Nassau by Syosset. I understand what you are saying, but I also think its BS that we have to get a contractors license to cut grass. its a general test and doesn't do anything but put a few bucks in the county's pocket. I am not licensed in Nassau, and my license is coming in suffolk, but I am insured and everything is legit. I just don't understand why if you do residential you need to be licensed, but if you do commercial, no license is required.

7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

damn i never knew that .. so we dont need license in nassau for commercial properties?

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

well, at least they're doing their job, and possibly weeding out some of your non legit competition. beign legit pays off in the long run.

9. FairwayLandscape

FairwayLandscape LawnSite Member
    from LI

They should be stopping the scrub illegals that have no license and do this PART TIME.
    At least you saw somebody.

10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in Garden City area. I'm the first one I ever heard of getting checked out too! There was a mason down the block they were talking to first so maybe they were checking him out and figured they'd check me too or maybe they were just out checking everyone.