Hope I didn't screw up...............

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tucker2930, Feb 19, 2013.

1. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

No problem......

2. StanWilhite

I should have added that the Swisher has about 600 hrs on it with nothing replaced but deck spindle bearings. So, even though it isn't commercial, I feel like it's held up well for what it is.....so far at least! :laugh:

3. StanWilhite

Hey ZTMan, thought of something you may be interested in seeing. Here's a link to a You Tube video showing a tow mower being used. Seeing it in action may answer some of your questions or concerns.

Most of these tow mowers are designed so that you can run them on the left, directly behind, or to the right of the main mower. Pulling it directly behind is what you'd need to do if pulling with a 4 wheeler, or anything other than another mower. When pulling a tow mower with a 4 wheeler, you can also pull the tow mower offset to one side or the other to go underneath hedge rows or around ponds or other obstacles.

I pull mine off set to the left so it's not having to cut the discharge grass being thrown out by my Lightning (I then mow counter clockwise). You can mow as you would when striping, it's just that your stripes are 2 mower widths wide....which is fine.
    Stan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4dNqtKjJo

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I had liquid cooled 27 hp Kaw's n the past, NEVER AGAIN !!! Always something going wrong with them. Hope you have better luck than I did.

5. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the link. That set up looks like it can work. I agree with your offset comment, should be offset so the mower being towed is not cuttng the grass of the towing mower. Thanks again. Now that I see that set up, I wonder how two 44s would work, one offset on each side. They are rear discharge and 2 of them probably weigh about as much as the 60.

6. tucker2930

tucker2930 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up. What kind of problems did you have with the Kaw. motor?

7. StanWilhite

Sure thing, glad to (hopefully) be of some help.
    As long as the mower doing the towing is equipped with an engine (along with hydraulic pumps and motors) heavy built and strong enough to pull the added weight and "drag", you'll be fine. (As I'm sure you know, the "drag" factor is the hp it takes to pull a tow mower (or two) thru tall thick grass). It takes several times as much power to pull tow mowers thru tall thick grass, compared to short thin grass...and, obviously, the more tow mowers involved, the more hp it takes to pull them.

Using 2 tow mowers on the same side is fine, but you lose some efficiency if you use one on each side because you can't accurately judge where the edge of the tow mower is that is following your last cut. To be accurate you have to use the mower doing the towing to follow your last cut.

One last consideration is, if you're moving around there's added time and effort to connect and disconnect the mowers, and getting them on and off trailers. If you're staying in one spot (mowing your own personal property), or mowing large properties (several acres) that's no big deal tho.
    Stan

8. StanWilhite

Sorry Tucker, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I thought you were about through when the "tow mower" question popped up.
    I'm hoping your Lightning serves you as well as mine has served me. We'll be looking forward to updates!
    Stan

9. tucker2930

tucker2930 LawnSite Member

No problem Stan. The dealer has the mower an extra week correcting the problems you listed. Thanks again you saved me in a big way as my dealer is 40 + miles away.

10. StanWilhite

That's great! Those round trips of that length are time consuming and expensive.
    Will you please tell my wife that I'm good for something?! :laugh: