1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hopefully my NEW TRUCK

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawnsmithcare, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Lawnsmithcare

Lawnsmithcare LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...175&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=0

Ok guys just wondering what you think of this one. It is right down the street from me and I am going to take a look at it next month when I get back from florida. I talked to the guy and he said that the suspention is beefed up in the back to mke it as strong as an f350 even though it is a f250. It looks like a great truck to me and from talking to the guy it seems so. so I I am just lookin for your imput.

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing that would worry me about that truck is the transmission- those years had issues. I had a '93 and went through 2 trannys in about 6 years.

3. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 96 2wd pickup with a 171000 miles on it and has been a real workhorse. I purchased the truck in 1999 with 30000 miles on it. I recently replaced the tranny with a motorcraft reman. The engine needs a timing chain cover gasket but other than that a good truck. How was it maintained? That is always the big question. Personally I think the price of new trucks is more than I'm going to pay. My next one is going to be a cabover. Alot more truck for about the same money. Good luck with your decision! Matt

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a lot of miles for a gas engine! What new parts does it have?

5. mmacsek

I'm assuming that was meant for my answer. I have only done preventative maint. and the only "major" work was balljoints,top and bottom, about 20k miles ago. I ccange alot of fluids. I don't mean to start a pi$$ing match but I use Mobil 1 oil and filter that gets changed every 5k miles. The truck uses a quart every 2k miles. With the modern day engines and oil 200k miles for a gas engine and 300k plus for a diesel. Hopefully the rest of the truck holds up. Of course all this is only my opinion. Matt

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

whats the truck like interior...rust...hows it shift...thats a lot of miles there

7. mmacsek

The bench seat bottom was replaced about 2 months ago and a reman. motorcraft was just installed. I believe I stated that in the thread. No rust. It is an XL trim level so there is only a rubber mat and no carpeting. I did forget the radiator was replaced this week, I did. Honest guys, I'm not BS'ing about the truck. Have a good one. Matt

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

In the trucks description, he lists new parts. Any idea as to what is new? Sorry I wasn't clear before.

9. Lawnsmithcare

Lawnsmithcare LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure I am going to call him and find out what they are. I to was wondering the same thing

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

so how do you feel about it...are you gonna get it