Hopping curbs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mlgtrainer, Jun 2, 2002.

1. mlgtrainer

mlgtrainer LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any ideas to help one hop curbs safety?
    We have alot of small islands that can handle a 36" walk behind the problem isgetting the 36" up safety, without damaging the underside of the deck. I know that some guy in Wisconsin was selling a product called the "curb it" but it was only for tractor type mowers. He designed it for hopping on to curbs in the shopping centers that he does. It looks pretty neat, sells for around $60.00 plus s+h,
    Any one have any suggestions. I don't want to have to use a 21" mower to do these long islands of turf.

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to your local Walker dealer and ask for a curb jumper. It is a plastic wedge. Works well. They are a little pricey.
    I am sure a guy could make one with a couple of hours of work.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

The only suggestion i can give besides going out and buying a ramp, is the way you approach the curb. you may already be doing this, but i usually approach the curb at an angle and push down on the handle bars, to put the deck as high in the air as possible. I go up the curb with usually the left tire, and then turn quickly to get momentum to jump the other tire up the curb. Are you having trouble with the backside of the deck catching? your other best bet if youre scraping the curb, would be to cut a few 2 by 4s to length just enough to get your machine up the curb.

4. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

That's what I was thinking too -- make yourself a ramp.

I set the blade to 5" and go up MDB said. It works fine, but we don't have extremely high curbs. And that is on a ZTR.

Since you're using a wb, use a homemade ramp -- save some money......
    :)

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We carry around a 4"x4" wolmanized post in the back of our trucks (bout 5 feeet long or so).

Place it up against the curb. It acts as a "step" that allows even our big WB's to climb up even belgian block curb that can be the worst.

Hope that helps.

6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

For you "girly types" go to the gym more often!!

Get your front wheels up on curb, place machine in neutral, get low under handles and lift -- good tricep workout too.

Bob

7. Kyle Carter

Kyle Carter LawnSite Member

I run in to the same problem every day, I just tough it with my 36inch. Often thought about using a push mower, never have because of time lose.

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OK, if you jump normal size curbs, and use a Hydro machine, which I assume commerical LCO's are using, just turn the machine around, and backup over the curb.
    This method aviods the unsafe part of having the whole machine balanced on the rear wheels while the front is in the air, and prevents possible tire pinching.
    It's very easy. Just backup right to the curb, take a deep breath and hit reverse. As soon as the rear wheels are up over the curb and on the ground, stop a second and then slowly reverse and gently drag the deck and front wheels over the curb. Remember, don't try to pull the machine over the curb, since this takes the weight off the rear wheels and the machine will slip on the curb. This works equally well with WB's and riders alike.
    True you can't go over a 12" curb, but curbing is never level. And, if you have a really high spot there's bound to be a low spot close by. I can't see carrying around a ramp when it's not needed.
    Hope this helps,
    Pete

9. Always Green

Always Green LawnSite Member

I just lift mine on to the curb,but we had a Girl working for us so I took a scrap 2x12 and nailed a 2x10 to it then a 2x8......ect,ect
    she liked it but why don't you just hire a man to do this part of the job?

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You need better lookin' girls:D Then the guy's would scramble to lift it for her:p