1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hornets in the bushes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Check out this photo of some hornets I found in some bushes at a lawn I cut.

hornets 001_edited.jpg
  2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I was trimming bushes once, and all of a sudden I saw all these things flying around me. Initially, I thought it was just clippings flying off (sweat on glasses and hat really was impairing my vision). I started to get stung and figured out what it was...I was surrounded by hundreds of wasps.

Man, I took off! Ran as fast as I could to my truck, rolled up the windows...and started killing the wasps that were all over me. I got stung over 20 times...tho, I was relatively lucky, and I don't have reactions.

Weird thing about it all tho, while I was in my truck, the wasps were still trying to get at me...they were flying into the trucks windows. Just banging into them...felt like I was in a Stephen King novel.

What was even weirder...my helper was standing just outside of the truck, mebbe 5' away...and they didn't touch or go near him.

A-hole was laughing the whole time!!
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Thanks for giving me chills that I'm sure will last me all day, maybe even the week.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been in some bad deals with bugs when I was in the tree biz. Once this guy I worked for got a job tacking down a "bee" tree. He Even hired a "bee expert" to get rid of the bees( yeah,right). There were 5 guys there including myself. The bee guy had major problems trying to smoke out the bees. they got pissed and it literally looked like someone turned on a "bee hydrant" everyone but me and my Mexican buddy got jacked hard by the bees, and I mean bad! My amigo and I just dove under apalmeto bush and pulled the leaves to cover us. Neither of us got stung once. The boss and another helper run into the truck and got stug probably 15-20 times each. The bee dude was not so lucky... He was an am'blance case got stung like 150 times.
  5. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm LawnSite Member

When a bee stings it gives off a scent that identifies you as the intruder. If you get stung once the rest will come looking for you.
  6. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I was weed eating a fence line last year and stuck a fs85 stihl trimer right in to a hornets nest. Have been stung by every thing I though they tore me up They don't just sting they hurt and swell up real big. One got me on my belt line a problem for days. I had to spray the nest 3 separate times to kill them. had to run and jump in pool to get a way. when I got back around front they were trying to sting my trimer. Never mess with them hornets are bad to the bone.
  7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

That's yellow-jackets. Some mean sons a biznatches. They sting totally unprovoked.
  8. watercop

watercop LawnSite Member

Last year I abandoned ship (well, patrol boat) right as I bumped the bow into a branch with a hornet nest - I was stung 3 times in the neck. Me, duty gear, radio, cell px, pager, and ballistic vest all stright into the river. Thanks to the ignition cut-off lanyard and a self-inflating PFD, the 20 Lbs of duty gear did not take me to the bottom and the then-unmanned boat stopped.

Armorer, radio shop tech, and Lieutenant were all more amused than angry.

I still claim never to have had an unplanned water entry in 5+ years of marine patrol. I planned that dive, VERY QUICKLY!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Stay safe!