1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hornets in the ground

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greengator, Feb 10, 2004.

1. greengator

greengator LawnSite Member

any of you guys ever run across a hornets nest while mowing? i was bushogging one day and ran over one, let me tell you it's not fun. i had to jump off the tractor because it wouldn't go fast enough. i ran one way the tractor went ther other way straight in the woods. just curious if anyone else has exrerienced this?
  2. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

i went over one last year with my Plug'R man -- they sure didn't like me poking a dozen skylights into their nest. The let me have it with about 30 - 40 stings.

The worst part was I left the Plug'R sitting on top of the nest when i ran away --and I still had to go back and get it. usually I think kt goes fast enough -- but it seemed slow when I had a nest of Hornets chasing me!
  3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Most hornets build there nest in trees and shrubs a large round nest that looks like paper cache. Were yellow jackets build there nest most always in the ground.
  4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Every single year.

As soon as July comes around I start keeping my eye out for nests in the ground. I have gotten a lot better at spotting them. But I still miss one or two a year and get zapped two or three times.
  5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems to happen to me every year at least once or twice. Last year we were doing a landscaping job and I was cleaning out a natural area when I hit them. I didn't even know I had hit them till I got stung.

6. greengator

hamons, did they calm down enough for you to go back without getting stung? my experience , they must smell me coming. one guy wqas working on the road crew and they attacked him, killing him on the tractor. he worked for the county. he was bushogging the median when he hit it.
  7. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Every year I get stung. I'am highly allergic
    so its not fun. I'am going to make one of them sevendust fire exstinguishers olderthandirt told us about,this year I strike back!
  8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, Every year here I find a few. One year I also was bushogging and stired up a nest. They got me a few times before I got out of there. About a week later I read in the paper about this guy that jumped off his tractor while getting stung, then lost his footing as he tried getting back on and got run over and killed. My new tractor will shut down if I leave the seat while engine is running.
  9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. I always where long pants when I mow now cause they always sting me on the lower leg. Kinda sucks on the hotest days. I always make a point of going back later to destroy the little bastards' nest.

10. greengator

where would i find out about the seven dust fire extinguisher?