1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Horns and Oil Filters!!!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by fastrackguy, May 4, 2005.

1. fastrackguy

fastrackguy LawnSite Member

Hey everyone...Two things to discuss today. I was wondering if any manufacturer puts a horn on their mower's? The reason I ask is because it would sure be nice to just honk at the people who wave to me when I'm mowing my yard! I'm thinking of going to the salvage yard and getting an old horn off a chevy or something and a relay and horn button and mount the button on the left control lever on my Fastrack. That way when people wave at me I won't be inclined to wave back and end up doing 360's in my yard!!! It would also be handy to get the wifes attention so she can fetch me another Ice Tea!
    Also...I needed to change the oil in my 18hp Honda the other day and didn't think ahead...it was Sunday and the dealership was closed and I didn't have a filter on hand. I went to my local auto parts store and cross referenced the Toyo Roki # 15400-zj1 over to get a Wix 51334. It was only $5.00 and I know that Wix makes a very good filter. So any of you guys that find yourself in a jam..go to the Auto parts store and take the numbers from your filter with you!
  2. bcayes

bcayes LawnSite Member

I found on a web site that the Oil Filter part # is 15400-PLM-A01 for the Honda GXV620. That is differnt than the number you've listed. Which number is right? It makes a difference for the xref for a Fram filter.
  3. fastrackguy

fastrackguy LawnSite Member

I'm not sure about the part number you found on the website....
    The # 15400-ZJ1 ( toyo roki ) was the filter that was originally installed on my engine so I know it is the right one. Then I cross referenced it over to the 51334 Wix filter.If you find out anything else please reply back to this thread.

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

At the present time, the correct Honda part number for the oil filter used on the 18hp GXV610, 20hp GXV620 and 24hp GXV670 engines used by Hustler is #15400-PLM-A01 ($7.80 mslp). What makes this confusing is that #15400-PLM-A01 replaces both #15400-P0H-305 and #15400-ZJ1-004 which were LARGER in diameter but slightly SHORTER in length than the new number. The new filter is the same diameter but 3/4" longer than the #15410-MCJ-003 filter found on the GXV530 engine used on some FasTrak and Mini FasTrak models.

All Honda-engined Hustler models I've seen thus far at our dealership have the old, large-diameter filter installed but don't be surprised if the next filter you buy is different. Honda superseded the filter on a parts order I made in early April, and our stores are now out of the large-diameter filter. In theory, all oil filters used by Honda's power equipment division are interchangeable since the large diameter and small diameter filters have the same o-ring base circle. Owners of the water-cooled Honda lawn tractors have interchanged them for years (although Honda recommends the small diameter #15400-PFB or PM3 filter today in all tractors today, this filter was once recommended solely for the larger-engined H4518 while the larger diameter filter went on the smaller-engined H4514, HT4213 and HT3813 as well as the generators that also used their GX360 engine).

Honda has done some pretty goofy things regarding filters. When first speced for the Honda Vee-twins, the #15400-P0H-305 filter came only in a tray of 30 -- quite a bit of inventory for the mom and pop shops. Honda then added #15400-P0H-305PE (for "P"ower "E"quipment) which could be ordered individually. The individual dealer net worked out the same for both filters, but here's where it got weird -- if you took ten of the "PE" filters, you got a 10% discount. A tray of 30, however, got no discount. Go figure!

Whenever I've pressed for a common ground for Honda oil filters, Honda Tech Line waffles on the subject. One tech essentially bailed out on me by saying that all recommendations come from the automobile division which has sole corporate-wide authority for oil filter specs. End of discussion! Whatever the "official story," however, I'd recommend sticking with Honda's exact specification if your engine is still under warranty.