Horrible experience at Hustler dealer?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by oldcrappymower, Mar 30, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Please dont make this harder than it has to be. You had a list of homeowner mowers of which all would suit you well. Simply cross off the Hustler from your list due to a crappy dealer and move to the next one. In fact check them all out and feel out the dealers as well. Any of the mowers on your list will last you many many years as a homeowner. Check out the Gravely next...hint hint.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Since you seem to have discarded any posts about a walk-behind with a sulky, I think we can assume you wish to sit, not walk or stand. Fair assumption?

Also, we still haven't heard anything about your property, such as terrain, slopes, obstacles, etc. We have seen no pics, so are not able to understand your needs very well.

Ridin' gives some good advice here. Yes, the fab vs. stamped deck can be a red-herring in the discussion for a home-owner use. I too use a 7-Iron JD deck on my ZTR -- outstanding deck, and stamped.

But, he has good points regarding a upper-level tractor. No, we aren't talking about the box store JD products, rather the model lines he suggests. You can buy a great JD tractor, with mowing deck, sit down while mowing, and use it for many other tasks around your property. If you have that kind of acreage, undoubtedly there are many other tasks needed for maintenance. Buy a small trailer, snow plow, and other attachments, and you have a versatile machine. It would probably do a comparable mowing job as the box-store ZTR. But, it may not manage slopes. We don't know if this is even a consideration, however.

3. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

My advice is to take that $3000 and hire a local LCO to do your lawn for a few years.

4. oldcrappymower

oldcrappymower LawnSite Member

Very little slope in the front yard. Mostly treeless and flat. There is a noticeable incline in the front, but it's over about...maybe eight feet and my two previous tractors were able to handle it without issue. Slope angle is just enough that I can run my tractor across it, but probably shouldn't.

5. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

I think he said it's 2 1/2 acres so... that 3k may cover a year.

6. Turning tall grass short

Turning tall grass short LawnSite Member

I too would jump on the band wagon with buying from a power equipment dealer and not a box store. You feel like you're on a island all alone when that Box store product breaks. Was the dealer you went to short some personal and the mechanics were just trying to fill in? I agree with the one post about asking the wrench on the construction and durability of the machine. For the value I like the Raptor. Very little plastic on the machine and the power plant is proven to be strong. Don't sell short the fact the Hustler is family owed. Some of the lines that were talked about is all corporate and try to keep the stock holders happy. There's a person on the top at Hustler you can talk to.

TTGS

7. oldcrappymower

I found a different dealer that's closer to fifty minutes away instead of thirty five, but they returned phone calls and e-mails right away and are a family owned dealer. I am going to try to get down there tonight to get a 52" Raptor. Doesn't seem like anything else is equal for less than 3k.

Thanks guys.

8. oldcrappymower

taking it home.jpg

Hopefully this attaches the photo of my decision.

taking it home.jpg

9. IES

IES LawnSite Senior Member

Enjoy the new rig.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I have sold like 30 raptors, even have a guy mowing 30 yards a week on one, so far so good...lol
    Posted via Mobile Device