horrible mowing day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Aug 25, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Today, I think is the worst mowing day that I have had this entire season. The humidity was so bad that we actually called it a day for mowing by 11am. The grass was clumping so bad and the bagger was just making a worse mess. I was actually embarassed at a couple of sites. Just was not a fun day at all.:angry:

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sounds like the humidity is supposed to be comming our way soon.Not looking forward to it after the last few days of low humidity.It will get better,just shake it off,have a cold one and tommorow is a new day.Fall is coming!

3. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) I know what mean brother, i put in 10hrs today the heat index was 117, ill be 54 in late November wears me down bigtime i had one killer of a shrub job around 1pm 25 boxwoods 8ft tall and it about drained all the energy out of my bunny.....Marks Mowing Service

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What's humidity? :D

We're at 6500 ft in a semi-arid desert.

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

tiedeman, and all, come on down here to my neck of the woods. What you're describing is our 'normal' summer day. Add to that the fact that geographically my area is a trough where weather systems stall = NO air movement at all for days at time. Look into the tops of 50/60' pines and not a branch or needle moves. Fuses on tempers are non existent.
    Heat index at or above 110 to 115 for most of the day.
    Humidity at or above 95%.
    That's by noon, gets 'better' from there.
    Open the door to go outside and you can't tell the difference between doing that and opening an oven that's heated to 400. Ugh!
    Breathing gets to be a job, something you have to concentrate on.
    Boots better be on tight if you walk across any asphalt, instantly stick and tries to suck them off your feet. Concrete roads actually explode from time to time.
    Just another day in Louisiana. :)

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Rustic Goat,

We just went through a period like you describe that lasted for about 2 weeks straight. In fact, since the beginning of July it has either been brutal heat and humidity or pouring rain here. The only difference is our heat indexes weren't that high. Only 100 to 105.

The biggest difference between where you and I live is the winter temps. It got and stayed so cold here that small backhoes couldn't dig because the ground was frozen that hard..

7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Richard, too bad we can't trade some of each's weather and equal things out a bit. Don't envy your Winters at all, but right now that seems a fictional concept, 'cold' and/or 'frozen'.