Horrible Service from Magna-Matic!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Nov 21, 2004.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I must write and warn you all regarding Magna-Matic. I know they are a sponsor here. And trust me, I am not one to badmouth people or businesses. Anyone who's been on lawnsite for a while knows that. But I just can't believe the [lack of] service I have had from Magna-Matic.

Earlier in the year, we ordered a MagnaMatic Blade Balancer and a Blade Sharpener. The shipping time wasn't what I was told. But when we finally got the product, we were pretty happy. EXCEPT that they didn't ship us the guard that prevents sparks from flying out all over the place as you are sharpening.

We've called and left emails for months now and still nothing. I am just blown away at their lack of any response at all. I've been plenty patient with them and only now, after months and months, am I saying anything about it. So consider this a warning. I don't recomend doing business with them. Nice quality products. But horrible customer service.

The document below contains the text of the two emails we have sent them. FYI.

Attached Files:

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

hopefully you might get a spark from posting it here and see some results

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, and I'm in the market for a new blade sharpner :-/

4. Miller

Miller LawnSite Member
    from WY

Me too! Thanks for the heads up! :waving:

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Two things stand out when I think of Magna-Matic.

1: They make an excellant product. Everybody who has one raves about how fast the sharpener is and they say the quality is very good.

2: Magna-Matic seems to have some sort of problem with suppliers. I have seen a few complaints about slow shipping and Magna-Matic always blames it on someone else. "We're waiting on this" or "that wasn't built to our specs" is what you hear from them.

The customer doesn't want to hear about why the product wasn't shipped. They want to know when the product, complete and ready to use, is going to arrive. It's like cutting grass. You may do the best job in the world but if the customer can't rely on you to show up on a regular basis they will most likely find someone who will even if it means not getting as good a job done.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for posting. That is the worst customer service I have heard of in a long time.
    I planned on buying a magna-matic next year but not now. Customer service is a top priority with me.

What other brands have you guys used that is good?

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

DLS1 - try a search on FIREBALL

I have had my Fireball Jr for 4 years and not one problem. Great machine for STRAIGHT blades (high end Magna-Matic is the only grinder that I know of that will do 'wavey / multi level' blades).
    I understand that Don is again retailing his line of Fireball sharpeners.

BobR

8. jcb287

jcb287 LawnSite Member

Since there seems to be lack of service after they get your money,I think I will buy the RBG unit instead.Thanks Jim,hope you get the problem solved.

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Magna Matic has Top Notch Customer Service & sells the Finest Grinders in the Industry. Have Never had a problem getting e-mail response from them...Did you Phone Them...They Have an 800#.?

I Broke a Part on the Mag8000 1 yr out of Warrenty...Was My Fault....E-mailed & they sent part Free the next day. Talked to them on the Phone Numerous Times as Welll...Very Helpful.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have any problem sharpening wavy blades with my lesco grinder I use 2 fingers to prop the blade up while sharpening the upper edge angle it for the sloped part and feed it straight in for the end always comes out sharp and with the same angle I started with