Horrible Tire wear.......

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Sep 9, 2008.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

on my trailer. I get maybe 6 (if that) months out of my rear tires on my tandem axle enclosed. Tires are inflated properly, they just get too much scrub from all my tight turns in small neighborhoods. I got 3 years out of the front which to me is good enough.

My question is should I get radials? will i get more life out of them? Is the price difference worth it? I get bias ply's for $55 a piece mounted. I don't wanna kill a set of say Goodyear Marathons and get maybe only 2 more months out of them.

I know I will get a better ride without flat spots and that sort of thing but I don't care too much bout that.

Once again its for a tandem axle enclosed trailer that weighs only 4500lbs with everything in it.

If you don't know what your talking about as far as tires, please save us all from reading your BS and just don't post. Please!

2. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Try rotating the tires, it makes the wear even

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

does your trailer lean front or back at all? leveling it out may help one of our tandems leaned back and wore front tires so we got a drop hitch and solved that problem

4. South Florida Lawns

from usa

I just want to know if radials are worth it!

Trailer does sit level. used to rotate them back in the day, but was still having to replace 4 tires a year. Its all just scrub thats why they wear out fast, they are even just don't last.

Just trying to find out if anybody has gotten better life outta radials?

5. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

For me, I ran bias tires stating in 2001. Replacing the rears every year. Then tried running used car tires(Big savings) and got about the same wear. They swayed alot more thou.

So last year I installed a set of expensive radials($400 for 4). Very disapointed. Maybe 4,000 miles and 3/4 are gone. I don't rotate also. This is on my open 16' dual axle trailer weighing 3K loaded.

Going back to cheap tires when these go.

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. I just bought 4 new Bridgestone knockoffs (some unknown company under bridgestone) I believe either 6 or 8 ply radilas. Even after 2 months they still look like new. It only cost me $225 for them and that includes mounting. Make sure you have a commercial account with a tire company, that saved me quite a bit. The origanl tires that these trailers come with suck. I was constantly replacing one at a time cause they wouldn't wear right no matter what i tried.

7. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Thanks thats what I was afraid of spending extra and still scrubbing them to the cords.

I have thought about used car tires alot. But as you said they sway more. Maybe I'll step up to a 15" rim and run LT tires.

8. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I known this isn't answering your question about radials but try getting under your tralier and measuring.I was putting 3 to 4 sets a year on just the back axle turns out from the factory they drilled the hole for the hanger exactly 1 inch further back on on side than the other making the back axles one inch sideways i drilled the new hole and moved the axle forward a inch and it has been alot better now

9. South Florida Lawns

from usa

So your tires were never really tracking straight? There is no standards to building a trailer. Especially enclosed ones. Most are junk out there. Even if they look nice, they don't hold up to commercial use.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like something is out of align. The back axle must have broken center bolts on the springs. If the back axle is dog tracking it will scuff the tires off turning or not because your essentially dragging the tires on a angle.

It won't matter what brand you have or bias or radial and the wear isn't from turning the front axle should see more wear than the rear.