Horrific day cutting grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Jul 29, 2006.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

While cutting a development common area, my son noticed flames comming ouy the back of a house. He grabbed the cell phone and called 911, and stayed on the line with them. We went to the front of the house a found woman in the driveway. She said that her daughter and grandchild were in the house. We kicked the front door down, but the smoke was thick and black from the ceiling to the floor. We felt so fustrated knowing that the daughter and grandchild were 50 feet from us, but we knew that if we went into the house, we wouldn't make it out. Here's the rest of the story, http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060729/NEWS/607290324/1006

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Man Bob, sorry to hear...

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That's a horrible story. I was hoping it had a good ending before I clicked on the link.

4. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Respect to you! Not a lot of people would have done what you attempted to do. Unfortunately the end result was not a happy one. I'm sorry for the tragedy.....

5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Geeez...thats terrible. Next time I start feeling like Im having a bad day...I just may have to rethink that.

6. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Prayers for you, your son and this family.

Awful......a horrible way to die.

7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Bob, you did what you could, but sometimes things just don't work out the way we would like. Valiant effort.

8. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Somethings happen, and are beyond explanation and the ones involved are beyond the point of being consoled by mere words. We don't know what to say or do that can make things right again.

I pray for you and your son to be able to get past this as well as for the family of those lost in the fire.

Even through things like this I still think that God is in control and He will be a help to all those involved in this tradgedy if He is called upon.

We all commend you for your efforts.

9. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

If he didn't know it before, he knows it now. Your son has a very brave father. :clapping:

10. alot2lurn

alot2lurn LawnSite Member

You and your son attempted a very brave thing,unfortunately it was just to far gone.My prayers go out to all involved.