Horror Story? You tell me....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jul 29, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

So, I'm almost done for the day with three lawns to go. I just get finished loading my EXMARK LAZERHP onto the trailer and start going through my shutdown/cool-down procedure...throttle to idle....mower switch off...and then I wait about a minute before I shut the key off. I usually get off the seat and close the gate and make sure everything else is secure while the engine idles.

Well, I stand up and motor just dies. Strange, I didn't hit the ignition switch. Try to re-start. Nothing.

After about an hour of troubleshooting as far as I could I called my dealer to see if they could take a peek at it and this is what I got for a message....

"Thank you for calling XXXXXX Hill Farm Equipment, the store will be closed from July 25th to August 8th while we are on vacation...." VACATION? What the XXXX? A farm equipment store closed for vacation during the summer? Sure enough, after calling some other people, they close their doors every year for two weeks in the summer? Exmark, are you listening? Well, if you are, guess who is switching brands next year!?

Luckily, I convinced a Exmark dealer about an hour away to take a look at it. But even he said that as of next week, he is dumping the exmark brand due to reasons I'd rather not get into to.

2. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

shutdown/cool-down procedure...throttle to idle....mower switch off...and then I wait about a minute before I shut the key off. I usually get off the seat and close the gate and make sure everything else is secure while the engine idles.

Well, I stand up and motor just dies. Strange, I didn't hit the ignition switch. Try to re-start. Nothing

There wouldnt be a safety switch under the seat thats decide it would work this time and then is somehow jamed on?
    I Notice that you normally get off the seat anyway and it stays running

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

The mower shuts down for safety like if you fall off and wont start until you put it in park. Just a thought maybe its just the engine not the whole machine. eXmark are pretty reliable machines and it could be a Kawasaki/kohler problem. Also did you run out of fuel? That could be a possibility too check the tanks.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Will not crank.
    Battery......12.75 volts
    Oil....Level Check Good
    Seat switch.....Cont check good
    Lead to Seat switch ....power to one side
    All connections to starter and everything else looked good
    Mower switch...Off
    Brake....On
    Handles....Extended
    machine....level and full of fuel

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

loose wire connection or short in a saftey switch.

6. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

disconnect the seat safety switch and put in a jumper wire and try to start it. that will tell you if it's the seat safety switch

7. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Bad ground /earth wire?? :blob3:

8. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

make sure there is nothing wedged inbetween the control arm, and that saftey, Check you fuses and relays as well.

9. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

If it were due to the engine, the engine would crank but would not start.
    generally, of course. there are a couple of things that could go wrong at the engine that would have nothing to do with the machine. but most of the time, if you get crank and no start, it is something with the machine.

10. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Check the battery ground cable like stuie suggested. I had a problem just like that and it turned out the ground cable broke under the battery cover.