Horror Story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers who lives in a big house and has a big yard, but is on a very very low budget and has problems affording our services even at the low low price we provide for them for him had a little incident. His daughter gave him a genearl clean up job for the yard for his X-mas present, which didn't bother me, the bushes were so far out of hand and beds and everything looked like crap, but he wouldn't pay anyone to do it. Well the guy came out and looked at everything and told him what he was going to do and then said i'll come back when the weather is good. Well about a week later this black guy comes to the door and my customer though it was the guy that came last time...my customer is hard of hearing and really slow, well this guy that came wasn't the same guy he was just some random guy that stopped and asked him if he could do that yard and my customer didn't realize what he was saying he thought he just said he was going to start the yard now...well this guy did the WORST job ever and charged "10x more than it was worth" i really feel sorry for my customer, but i'll be back in 2 weeks doing my normal serivces... i really worry about some of my customers sometimes

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

thats really not to good, personally i would find it insulting if my customer had someone else do a job on there yard, if i was able to provide the same service. both from the customer and the other cpmpany, unless i told them to call the other company because offer something i didn't.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it is sad when the elderly are miscommunicated with, or just dont understand.

I keep it very simple for our clients. I tell them this: If they dont see our truck out front, please call us first so we can advise them on whats best. To date it has worked.

This is why it is so important to keep in contact with clients. That extra time here and there once every other week pays off in the end. And can make us look like a hero. I just deal with them like I do grandparents.

We had a client who called two yrs back, because a crew was seal coating driveways. She wanted to know if we had a different truck for this type of work. I told her No. Its not one of ours.

Come to find out it was a SCAM!!! They had mixed motor oil with the product to make it spread farther. And let me tell you that was a costly endeavor for these folks to repair their lawns when the time came after the first rainfall.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris