1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Horror story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1145JohnDeere, Apr 17, 2001.

1. 1145JohnDeere

1145JohnDeere LawnSite Member
    from KY

Last Thursday a lawn maintenance company here was mowing a residential account that had a small pond with a high dam bank on one side. As one of the workers was mowing the bank with a Chariot Jr. it began to slide down towards the water. Before the employee (18 yrs old) could jump off the mower turned over on him and drove both into the water. His head was submerged and he could not get up because the mower was on top of him. Fortunately, another worker was weedeating nearby and saw what happened. He was able to hold the guys head above water til help came to lift the mower off. The employee suffered two broken legs. I saw the mower at the dealer, it was not damaged other than a bent seat and lots of mud.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This is one thing bad about working by yourself, there wouldn't of been anyone around to help him. This guy is very lucky to be alive.

You solo workers, be need to be more careful and this is a good example.

Be safe everyone. :)
  3. Turfclippings

Turfclippings LawnSite Member

for examples like this and stories of being near the water, i pass on properties with lakes and ponds. Its not worth taking a chance over.

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

That amazes me that he didn't get off. At least he's still around to tell the story. Hopefully the employer had w/c to cover for this...

Be safe everyone!!!!!!!
  5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

thats scary. he's lucky that he is still alive, but only 2 broken legs is luck, i'm surprised he didn't do something to his neck.be safe everyone
  6. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I'll add.

Less than a week after getting my Turf Tiger it proved to much for my ramp on the trailer. As I was backing off it gave and the mower pointed for the sky. I was unable to get off the machine until it started rolling backward (levers across my legs and all my weight pushing vertically on the seatback). I was then able to literally fall off and roll before it came over on top of me. It came to rest on the seat and front spindles...if I wouldn't have made it off it would have snapped my neck. What amazed me in hindsight is how many cars must have driven by on the busy street I was working on without stopping to help.

I thought my setup was safe.
  7. solinsky

solinsky LawnSite Member

last week a guy that works with me did the same thing. When he tried to jump off his shirt got caught on the handle of the lazer, luckily he was not injured.
  8. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

It suprises me that more mower manufactures don,t provide a ROPS system for their mowers. Maybe they don,t realize the conditions that the mowers are used in that could cause roll overs. If you mow slopes you really should have ROPS and a seatbelt
  9. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Try working around lake shores all day , with average 3'' high break walls. Especially on a Z mower.