horse farm irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Nov 16, 2007.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

i got the plans on a 11 1/2 acre horse farm today. it has 10 paddocks that are about a 1/3 of an acre each all to be irrigated. the rest is grass areas and a few planting beds and there are 2 barns on the property.

some of you my remember a thread from the summer i started about a sand ring that needed irrigation for dust control, this is the same farm they liked the work we did on that system and want me to do the whole place.

its a little bigger than i am used to working on so any advice would be appreciated. i was thinking of a 2 wire system because it may go in phases. and i will need another well drilled for this system because the other one is not enough.

thanks

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

there is a brand of pop up impact sprinklers made of cast iron or something made for horse/animals. i'll try to find something out.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

2 wire sounds delicious. Any more background on pressure and flow youll have from pump/well? All underground? Lots of horsey places have tinklers up on fenceposts for protection of the head.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

2 wire sounds too experimental at this time...I'd run double 13 strand
    all over, you'll never regret it, especially since two wire will interface
    & this gives you the option of Tucor or ::gasp:: Calsense.:clapping:

5. greenmonster304

i am meeting the well guy monday to talk about what kind of well is possible for this system. and for the paddocks i was going to keep as much as i can away from horse traffic but there will need to be heads in the middle to get head to head.

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Not if you use one of these bad mothers! 116' max
    [​IMG]

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You said Calsense [​IMG]

8. greenmonster304

i found out the specs on the existing well, i dont think it will cut it.

3 horse vfd

65 gpm @ 50 psi
    56 gpm @ 60 psi
    44 gpm @ 70 psi

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds pretty decent with the specs given. You can certainly make this work, whats your plan? Where do you want to go with this? What does the customer want, just green grass?

10. greenmonster304

pretty much just green grass. but there already 12 zone system running off this well for another section of the farm. i dont know if there will be enough time to water everything.