1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Horse Manure Tea ?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Eakern & Dog, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I have two 32 gallon cans of raw horse manure and was wanting to experiment with a manure type of tea . Has anyone tried this?

2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Better off composting it first, pile should reach 140 degrees for at least 4 days, then make tea from the compost once any pathogens are cooked out.

My aussies love those pet smart frisbes too, esp the pink ones and the orange ones. The male likes to chew and mangle them though, so we go through about a dozen a year.

3. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I will throw it on the pile and wait. I'm getting antsy to try this :) My pooch gobbles up the PetSmart Frisbees as well. I got a new one on-line that has been indestructible so far called JAWZ. You can buy one at the link below.

http://www.skyhoundz.com/discs.html

4. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the link!

If you want to try something, get some good finished compost and make tea from that. For you to completely compost that manure it will take about 6 to 12 weeks.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to ask, is this drinkable tea?? If so, how would you tell your friends you are having a horse poop tea and crumpets party??

6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Chicken manure works great in low doses. Granular.