horse manure

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnboy82, Jun 18, 2001.

1. hey guys. i had some customers last year who had me spread dried horse manure over the gardens, as a mulch type material. i would say that we applied a good 15 yards or so. it didnt smell as bad as you may think. i was just wondering if this is a common practice? and this is not vegetable gardens. this is flower gardens that are all around the home.
  2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Well-rotted horse manure has long been a favorite fertilizer for gardeners.
  3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

It's cheap and effective. The problem is most customers don't like the word manure, it brings a certain smell to mind.

Jim L
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

horse manure is the stuff lol! only thing i might watch out for is runoff but wouldnt worry to much about it.
  5. the only reason i ask is because people around here use either red mulch, brown mulch, or some form of crushed stone. this is the only person who i know of that uses horse manure for mulch around the property.
  6. greens1

I am going to take a wild guess and say that her plant material looks better, and is healthier, than the others.

Stone offers no nutrient value and bark, which comprises most colored mulches, has very limited nutrient value.

Manure is high in nutrient value and is often added to topsoil as ammendment. It beats most mulch, maybe all, hands down.

Jim L
  7. yeah, they did have some very healthy plants there now that i think about it. only problems if any were a couple of insects. but they dont like to use chemicals. it was just something that i had never used before. people ask me for mulch, wheather brown or red, sometimes black, or stone, red or grey or whatever. but that was a first for manure. how often do you guys spread manure as mulch? cause i really never see it done around here.
  8. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD LawnSite Member

My friend is the local authordtiy on Composting Manure. great for lawns and gardens. Message me if you would like to contact him to learn more.
  9. greens1

Actually I do not use it as mulch, but rather as soil additive. Most organic fertilizers have similar properties to manure. Simply spread it on 1"-2" thick and work into the soil, or leave it on the surface. The manure breaks down slowly throughout the year providing a steady, organic, neutrient base.

The hard part is selling it to the customer. If I use it I have a don't ask, don't tell policy and simply bill it as fertilizer. Most people don't know the difference between fresh and highly decomposed manure, and they don't want to learn either.LOL

Jim L
  10. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Horses have highly inefficient digestive systems thereby causing there manure not to be as "hot " as say cows or sheep. This makes for more fibrous manure and a longer lasting decay to the nitrogen products. We have several of these little factories at our house and like to scrape the areas around the feeders as the is always a decent source of dry compacted waste. Man, is this what my life has come to?:(