horse riding ring irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Jul 27, 2007.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a customer that wants to put sprinklers around his riding ring to keep the dust down but he wants it all done from the edges and its 125' x 270'.
    has anyone done anything like this or have any suggestions?

thanks

2. Guess what. My sister in Montana is building a riding ring and was telling me about just that. I'll get the details and follow up.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The bad news: At those distances you'll never get any sprinkler to adeqautely cover head-to-head from the edges as even golf sprinklers will fall a little short.

The good news: For dust control you don't need to be head-to-head since you're just trying to control some of the dust and not grow anything.

The unfortunate news: It will depend on your water supply's PSI/GPM as to actually what might be able to be accomplished. Be prepared to increase your water supply if you don't already have enough availability.

4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

The farm has a 2 1/2 hrs vfd pump with a 2" main near the ring

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Doubtful that it will put out the type of pressure you'd need for golf sprinklers as you'd be limited to around 55 GPM with a 2" main line. Some golf sprinklers put out better than 100 GPM.

IF you had the pressure you could ring the fence line with large turf or impact sprinklers (12-15 GPM each divided into zones) and get 50' or so out of them which would leave the very center of the riding ring without water.

I know of one riding ring that does this and then sets out a large portable sprinkler in the middle (moved a couple of times) when the ring is not in use. I also know of another one that has four permanent sprinklers mounted on galvanized risers in the center that are protected by cutting barrels placed over them for the safety of the riders. Guess it will all depend on how the ring is used as to what you might accomplish.

Then there's indoor arenas that have the sprinklers in the rafters kinda like fire sprinklers. :)

6. The fire sprinkler method is the way to go in my opinion. All you are trying to do is control dust.

7. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

We did this some years ago, we ran the lines on the outsite and used the rainbird brass impacts mounted about 10' high on copper risers to get more distance out of them.

We installed the about 3' so it could be run in the winter and used yard hydrants to drain the heads after use.

just keep in mind that you don't want anything sticking out by the riding areas that a horse might get caught on. we ran the copper behind the support beams they were mounted on and piped them around so the only thing sticking out was the head itself.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You could draw up a design for a 125-foot-wide ring, using big ag impact heads, but you might only have enough water for one head at a time.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

This would be my thought as well. For dust control you wouldn't really need head to head across the ring, just along the sides. Given that, you would only need to cover a radius of about 65 feet with any one sprinkler.

10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Nelson Big Gun SR-100 Ag rotor. Available in adjustable model.
    Using 0.5" nozzle 50.0 psi at base of head - 50.0 GPM 205' diameter
    They are not cheap, but they are designed to be moved from one location to another like a quick coupler. You could do it in four moves - two on each long side and cover the entire arena as long as they have no heartburn with the ends outside the arena getting wet.