1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Horse runs off burglars

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fixer67, Aug 20, 2004.

1. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

is it just me, but I can't seem to be able to view the article?
  3. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

It asked me for a password.

IMPACT LawnSite Member

You need to register with the site before you can peruse their articles...no thanks, just give us the cliff note version.......WILBURRRRR!!!!:D
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The links work for me. Oh well here it is cut and paste

Horse runs off burglars

By Susan Orr | Staff Writer

Two burglars were about to ride off into the sunrise Tuesday with Raymond and Lillian Turner's riding lawn mower when fate intervened -- in the form of a bloody, dying horse.

The sight of the panicked horse headed their way caused the pair to abandon the mower and other lawn equipment they were about to steal and run away instead.

A Chevy Cavalier convertible driven by Richard Arthur, 47, of Inman struck the horse shortly before dawn.

It was one of three horses standing in the middle of Highway 357 near Lee Street in Holly Springs.

Arthur, who was headed southbound on Highway 357, was treated at the scene for minor cuts caused by a broken windshield, according to authorities.

The frightened and fatally injured horse headed toward the nearby Turner home, where it startled the would-be burglars.

According to Chief Lee Jeffcoat of the Holly Springs Fire Department, the bloodied horse then dropped to the ground and died.

Jeffcoat called the coincidental nature of the incidents very unusual.

"It'll definitely give me a story to tell," he said.

The Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office had no suspects in the attempted burglary as of Tuesday afternoon.

Robert Scott of 39 Hillcrest St., Lyman, is the horses' owner, according to Lance Cpl. Dan Marsceau, South Carolina Highway Patrol spokesman. Though Scott's home is near the accident site, Marsceau said he was not sure whether the horses were kept at that location.

The accident is still under investigation, and no charges have been filed, Marsceau said.

Susan Orr can be reached at 562-7270 or susan.orr@shj.com.
  6. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

It really bothers me, when stupid assed people driving around in their convertibles can't see something as big as a horse and hit and kill it with their little car. I mean, just think, I'd fine the fu$%er for not paying attention to his surroundings. Just think if it had been a child, or a cyclist on the road, they'd be dead too, and then they would probably charge him with manslaughter or something. Stupid idiots, see something, slow down and stop till it moves. ESPECIALLY since there were THREE, blind people should NOT be driving.