Horse stall floor wet, ideas on how to fix...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Grn Mtn, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to be helping out at a friends horse farm and my first project is the last stall's floor is wet. They are just dirt floors with a big rubber matte in the middle.

I was thinking of replacing the dirt with pea gravel to help with the drainage, then the hay can go on top of the pea gravel. Is this a bad idea, what do other people use for floors in the barns?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

The first thing is to figure out where the water is coming from. Is it just moisture coming out of the ground or is it coming from water runoff?

3. Grn Mtn

not sure, I'll have to look around to see if I can see a source.

4. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

Has the horse been in the stall lately? If so, have you seen how much a horse pees? That could be your water problem right there. And with the rubber mattes, it is very hard for it to evaporate at all. At least that is the case in my girlfriend's barn.

Putting gravel under the mates could be a possible idea. The main thing you would have to worry about is the gravel either being too compacted and transferring too much shock to the horses legs/hooves or it not being compacted enough and shifting as the horse moves around. Horse legs/feet are very sensative, a lot more than you might think, so keeping the horse happy will have to be your #1 concern no matter what, especially if it spends extended periods of time in the stall.

I think maybe the best thing to do would have a layer of gravel, covered by a layer of dirt to provide some impact protection, and then the mattes on top of that.

5. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

My wifes Aunt & Uncle ran the stables upthe road for a while, when they re-did the stalls they dug them out, put in gravel then matted the whole thing. Our stalls here are just dirt with a mats. If they need more mats, let me know I have extras I will sell for a decent price, they are heavy & expensive new. Good luck with the digging, whe I leveled ours it was some of the most compacted soil I've put a shovel in.

6. Grn Mtn

Mike, were you able to get one of your Dingo's in the stall to help with the digging?

7. No pea gravel.........or rock.
    You can you crushed lime stone. It packs like concrete.
    The pea grave or rock can get stuck in the horses hoof and make it lame. Here in Kentucky the big farms black top the stalls with special black top. You can throw 5 gals of water on it and it seeps through really fast.If you cant blacktop or use concrete, you might try installing french drains and cover them with dirt.

8. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

limestone is one of the best ways if you can't do concrete or blacktop. it compresses lik concrete and if you cover it in rubber mats and bedding, the horse will b good to go.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

My sister has 29 horses and we had this issue once to with dirt floors, what we did was remove 3 feet deep of the saturated dirt and replaced it with sand then we just layered it with shaveings afterwards problem solved. Loose the rubber mat.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

make sure you read what kyfireman says hes dead on but we use sand.