1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Horsepower question?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by WoodBrothersLC, Jun 16, 2004.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

What exactly does more horsepower do?

1. Blade spins faster
    2. Mow faster

Please help...deciding on horsepower
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The blade speed is the same according to specs on any motor available,the difference is evident when you are cutting heavy spring growth or similiar circumstances.More horsepower will cut it better without bogging down.
    Mow faster?In heavy wet conditions the motor will bog down less thus giving more mowing speed in theory,however,cut quality,belt slippage under extra heavy cutting conditions etc. will all be a factor in mowing speed.
    Bottom line,buy as much horsepower as you can afford while taking into consideration what your normal cutting conditions will be.For me more is definitely better................LOL!
  3. so40

so40 LawnSite Member

I just joined this forum to get info on Exmark mowers and did not expect to post much. However, this seems like a good topic to start with.

I always think of Torque as a massive force that gets an object (car,truck, blade) moving and in motion. The more torque the easier to get the object moving. Then Horsepower (a product of torque) is the refined force that keeps it moving and lets it move faster. Yes, the extra HP will spin the blades faster (assuming the motor can increase RPM safely) and as a result can possibly cut faster. But... torque is what keeps it from bogging down. Generally the more torque the more HP. Generally the more cubic inches an engine has the more torque it has. Other things contribute to this also.

These are general statements and not to be a total technical explanation. There are always exceptions to everything and I am no EXPERT.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Horsepower and torque don't really effect he upper end of the blade tip speed. They do however effect the amount of blade tips speed drop under load or the engine's ability to resist rpm drop under load.

Here's a web page I like that kinda helps make things even more confusing.........but I'm kinda simple minded sometimes: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm

I'd be more concerned about what a demo told me than what an engine is rated at. Just as an example the 28 EFI is only rated with 1 more horsepower than the 27 carburated. In the "real" world mounted on a lawnmower it's no contest. The 28 EFI wins the useable power batter easily.