1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Horsepower ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Can any of you tell me which uses more HP, gear drive deck or a belt driven deck? I'm demoing a Walker 52" deck (belt drive) and it seems to draw more power out of my 20HP than my 54" gear drive. Is this true?

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Hopefully you could get a real engineering-based answer from one of the manufacturer forums - but based on automotive/motorcycle information, I read that the belt would have least friction, chain next and gears would be least efficient (but probably the toughest). Another factor would be if the engine is vertical or horizontal - belt, chain, or shafts having to change directions will use up some power.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

think you answered your own question. ive heard that belt usually gets higher blade tip speed. dont know it for a fact though.
    later tm
  4. I cannot contribute to the belt Vs. shaft in relation to HP draw. However i would like to add something. Do not forget that with the Walkers, your shaft driven blade drive systems will have shear pins to deal with. The belt driven system will not have those friendly pins to deal with. I just thought that i would interject that thought to you.