1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hort. Degrees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vipermanz, Jun 15, 2005.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you rather go to a local community college and get a degree in turf sciences or go to a university and get it, obviously the univ. would cost more but is it really going to get me more of a prestigious title than i would otherwise,
    I really want to be the person in charge of a sports field someday, i already know alot more than the majority of people in my age range but i need that one little paper that says i do. I am kinda thinking if you are good, then you are good.

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

I'll go with Plan A Viper!

Joe... :dizzy:
  3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

George Toma's autobiography is out. I'd say if that is your goal, follow the leader.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

It's kinda tough to say, but you know who you should ask? The people who hire for the position you want. Most of us here on Lawnsite are not going to know.

You might also plan a few years down the road. A bachelor's degree will entail more detailed study for obvious reasons, but a BA looks a lot better than an AA on a resume. Fair or not, that's the way it is. In the absence of certainty, get the BA because while the AA might get you the job now, it might not help you keep the job you'll have ten years from now whereas a BA might.
  5. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

Viper, I am 22 i got my degree from a community college 2 years ago. I loved the time that i had to expand the business and make money but i missed out on alot of FUN, and i mean FUN. Now all of my friends are coming back from school with degrees and they hate the real world but they had a hell of a good time. I would say spend some time having a ball and go to the 4 year.

Also if you are looking for something in this business like you said experience is what they are looking for. Try and get a a job working on the grounds crew at the school you might attend and that will help poi even more.

Main thing is think of the positives and the negatives of each and go from there. and like my parents have always said, there is always more time in your life to work and grow up. enjoy your years of being young and have fun.

if i did it all over again i would of gone to a 4 year.
    Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps,
    Albenesius Lawn Service