Horticultural classes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Viseras lawn service, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

anyone have any reccomendations on which type of hort. classes i should take to get into the business within the next 4 years. i plan to go to college and study this subject, but i was just curious to see what classes some of the pros have taken :rolleyes: i have been interested in the business for a few years now and have taken care of a few residental sites and one large retail store with about 10k sq feet of area to be taken care of/ (5k grass 5k lot blowing/weeding) I did these jobs solo for a long time and now i feel that i would like to get serious about the business and take the right classes in college to learn about the landscaping business.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i took intro to horticulture at my school and landscape design both are good for beginning students :cool:
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Most community colleges have a program. Buy some used books off e-bay or amazon first. Don't know just how much info you think you need to get going so here are a couple of titles to check out, Introductory Horticulture ISBN 0-8273-6766-x (general book) Turfgrass Science and Management ISBN 0-7668-1551-x (great book for beginer) Turfgrass ISBN 0-89096-647-8 (advanced) Urban Soiil in Landscape Design ISBN 0-471-80598-x and if you wnat to get into trees TCI website used to have some home study manuals and this was also a good book Arboriculture ISBN 0-13-386665-3 also take some courses through your cooperative extension service, cheap and good info.
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Dendrology, plant pathology, , plant identification, and entomolgy are a few good ones that will cover lots of information..
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Having a degree in horticulture, I would recommend a horticulture program with a multitude of different horticulture subjects. Plant Science or Landscape Architect are the best programs IMHO. However if I had to pick just one class and one class only. I would say Plant ID. If you know the name of the plant in today internet world you can always find everything you need to know about that plant.