Horticulture

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't going to talk on this thread , but when somebody blames mutated DNA for 1/3 of plantings gone bad I have to stop and laugh... I shoot for 100% success rate on my plantings and I usually make it... bad DNA doesn't generally reproduce/germinate at all...

2. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

Axe,do we need to shut down all plant breeding programs? When you plant a bag of grass seed, do you get 100% germination?

What role does photosynthesis play in plant growth?

3. Grasssales2001

Axe, you wanted to talk horticulture. Let's talk horticulture.

4. scientia

scientia LawnSite Member
    from pa

You know the alchemist were eventually proven correct in their assumptions?

That being said I get where you were going with it and agree that a hybrid type program can be beneficial up to a point, but if a proper soil is not in place to begin with or a program to replenish the soil organically "e.g." compost that contains the necessary nutrients+OM, a bug in a jug product will NOT magically correct the issues and will still require chemical derived inputs to provide plant growth support in most all circumstances.

I'm aware that chemicals provide a quick fix on the cheap compared.

5. Grasssales2001

Plants have been around longer than humans. How did the plants survive without us here to fertilize them?

I drive by plants that are 75 - 100 + years old everyday. Unless the fertilizer gods provide them with fertilizer, they get no additional nutrients other than what nature provides. How do they survive? I'll give you a hint OM.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Could it be that those old plants are growing where the necessary elements are present and the OM is simply a carrier for those elements? GIGO, if it is not there, then things will not grow.

7. Grasssales2001

Other than in or around a lave flow or a few other instances ( soil ruined because of salt build up, etc....) How much completely barren land have you ever seen?

I was in Hilo a few years ago and saw some magnificent specimens. How did they grow in an island formed by a volcanoe?

8. greendoctor

My point relates to trying to grow what we humans want there rather than what will grow there. I have not seen any truly barren land, but what is growing there without inputs would not meet the standards for commercially acceptable landscapes. Those plants you saw on the Big Island are what will naturally grow there. I try to take those same plants and put them in a Honolulu landscape, they are probably dead.

9. Grasssales2001

Really, I haven't seen any commercially acceptable landscapes nearly as nice as what I saw around Hilo. Maybe if we humans didn't try to fit a round peg in a square hole, life wouldn't be nearly as frustrating or expensive!

10. greendoctor

Quite true. Tell that to the people that freak out over weeds or want XX as their shrubs and ground covers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.