Horticulture

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I know what you mean, just messing with ya.

I think some natural (derived) poisons are pretty bad, we gotta stay ahead of them bugs on the pesticide treadmill.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

What was that about 100% germination from a bag of seed, having to do with the 1/3 loss of every planting??? then everyone switched over to eco-terrorism and global starvation because we can only survive of indigenous plant-life???

I think it was Thomas Jefferson that had the dandelion brought over from Europe for his expansive garden retreat... they claim ALL species of the genus POA comes from Europe, with the latest being poa supina from the alpine mountains... worm track were found fossilized in the walls of the grand canyon so the idea of worms coming from Europe 200 years ago is pure bunk... right now millions of bovine live a healthier more comfortable life than their wild cousins did 200 years ago, though it is definately shorter...

Anyways what does all of that have to do with providing plant life with its best possible environment which allows it to thrive???

3. Duekster

from DFW, TX

The point is some plants just do not belong in your area just because you can buy then at the local garden center. Some native plants also are only native to particular conditions, Just as Green Dr stated about their native plants often failing in a "landscape".

What does or does not work for you, does not translate to globe.

The earth worms remains found in the grand canyon are likely not great great grand worm of the one in your garden.

Further, you will see different types of plants / animals of similar type but not the same type in different regions of the country.

Many times people get a Pin oak thinking it is a Shumard red oak... they look identical at an early age but do not grow in the same type soils. No amount of cultural practices, ammendments or fertilizers will change this. Sadly, you often find out you bought the wrong tree after it is about 5 years old and suffering.

4. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

I was just curious if you could achieve those results with a bag of seed.

Genetics does play a part in plant growth.

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I had a visual of him counting seedlings.

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I read a few years ago about a two step virus program. The first one kills cancer than the second one kills the first one.

You can not hide from GMO corn these days.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

All these little random bits of half-truths being machine gunned out there w/out ever putting together the whole pix, is when the point of horticulture is lost entirely... DNA gives every living creature the genetic material for a Family of Critters to survive even thrive within a certain Set of Circumstances...

So, one is speaking truth, when one says that: "Genetics does play a part in plant growth."...

For the purspose of this discussion, it would be 'correct' to say that the DNA, that makes up the POA, gives it the variability to live in the Temperate Zone of planet Earth...

B4 anything more can be sensibly revealed, there MUST be agreement with the highlighted statement...

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Which POA are you referring to? http://www.acronymfinder.com/POA.html

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.