hose ballet

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds like a real winning offer. Education costs and a Private tutor with hands on training is well worth the price. I would be willing to offer the same type of tutoring. It is a good deal for both parties.

2. JBNC

JBNC LawnSite Member

Don't worry I'm 22 and do that every once in a while! :hammerhead:
  3. JBNC

JBNC LawnSite Member

I've got you beat, I can rip out 50 solar powered stick in lights in one pull..without looking.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

And there was the time I got my hose all twisted and tangled up in a dog chain. Those glass mirrored gazing balls really DID make me nervous.

And I cannot forget the time somebody honked at me repeatedly and shouted some profanity at me. Turned out I was dragging 100 feet of hose down the highway.

Around a tree--been there--done that.

Have you ever tried to use a small tree as a pulley to go around a corner--and find out the tree wasn't strong enough?

Ever pulled the hose out by the gun...and...have the gun pop off the hose? That was exciting. Always tighten the clamp.
  5. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Ever reeled one up with a knot it in....still scratching my head!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a good one for you. Let's say you've been training a guy for about a week. You are using a quality sprayer that has jet and mechanical agitation. You pull up at your first stop of that day and tell the guy to recirculate the hose line. He's observed you doing it the last couple of days so he's familiar with the routine. He locks the trigger on the gun spraying into the tank and jumps back in the cab just like you've done the last couple of days. The only difference is he puts the gun further into the tank than you did. It gets caught in the paddles of the mechanical agitator and unwinds 400 ft of hose off the reel in less than 5 minutes while you enjoy another sip of coffee. You realize this when the tank makes a terrible noise but by that time its too late. It's great fun cutting a "rats nest" of hose from a mechanical agitation system inside the tank.
  7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't get anywhere close to 50 and I haven't been able to get mine to "rip out", it's more like "snap off". I need to get more practice in I suppose...
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hip Hurrah, Ted! You win the biggest hose disaster. That sounds really horrible. Would have spoiled my whole day. Did your agitation have a reverse gear?

How do you teach your guys how to avoid twisting the hose? How to avoid kinks and rewind evenly?
  9. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

Only when someone is watching

10. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

I love pulling the hose, its been a long time since Ive wrapped it around a tree and had to walk back or broke a Jap maple in half. I am a hose master. I can hop it over some decent sized bushes, rocks or whatever. My goal is to never backtrack..haha. I still have the problem of knocking my head at full speed on low hanging limbs.