Hose Clamps On Drip Pipe?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Mar 29, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Is it necessary to use hose clamps on drip pipe when using barbed insert fittings? Tee's, cplg, plugs, etc.

If so, do you use the crimp style or the conventional screw clamps?

Thanks in advance for the info!

John :waving:

2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Clamps are not needed for drip or funny pipe. the barbed ends are sufficient enough to keep the hose from falling off. Drip fittings however are rated up to 45 psi before they'll blow off the fitting.

3. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

They are under such low pressure due to a pressure reducer being placed after the valve this is not necessary. You are running gallons per hour rather than per minute under these conditions. Good luck.

4. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I would put clamps on anyway for peace of mind. We clamp our funny pipe fittings too for peace of mind.

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

1/2 and 3/4" drip pipe = clamps

swing/funny pipe = no clamps

6. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

The only reason we clamp our funny pipe fittings is because we heat the pipe to make it easier to work with. I agree if you do not heat the pipe and you have an adequate length of pipe then there is no need for clamps. But since we heat the pipe you have to clamp it (or at least we think so.)

7. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

THANKS FOR THE INFO. IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

JOHN :waving:

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I heat mine and have never used a clamp on funny pipe. Now that I think about it, I have never ran into funny pipe with clamps....

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

With the increasing resiliency of funny pipe these days, the idea of heating it to get it on the fittings doesn't seem to be worth the effort. How many failed funny pipe/fitting connections do you ever see?

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Can't say that I've seen any. But I have noticed that poly pipe is getting thinner. 1 1/4" 100nsf isn't nearly as heavy as 1 1/4" 100nsf was 20 years ago. Also, have you noticed the difference in wall thickness between different funny pipe manufacturers?