Hose 'n' Reel or Tank/Cart Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Laner, May 31, 2005.

1. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I have just recently passed the necessary testing to become a certified applicator for turf. I have always used a tank/cart sprayer for spraying Trimec or 2,4-D on my own lawn. Keep in mind that I have landscaped my lawn to work well with my mower and sprayer. Now that I am looking at spraying other lawns, I was wondering if any of you could provide me with a little insight on what type of application equipment works best in general for 10-25K Sq Ft lawns? :)

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Myself, I like the Permagreen, but other than that, it would be pulling hose. Get yourself atleast a 200 gal. tank and 300 ft. of hose.

3. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

TTT

I have the same question myself as I am getting prepared to apply ferts & pesticides.

I'm wondering, if purchase price was not an issue, if a tank sprayer or a Permagreen is a better way to go in the long run.

I have weighed the advantages/disadvantages of each but I guess ultimately the guys who have used both can provide the best answers.

Thanks.

4. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

pros for small, permagreen, z spray units far out way the cons. I will list some things to think about having a big tank and hose & reel besides the labor to use it.
    1. say your spraying broadleafs on most of your lawns and fill your tank accordingly. you come up on a lawn with crab or nutsedge that requires another product to take care of it. you have little flexibilty with a big tank, using small units you can mix up what you need for that specific lawn.
    2. unifrom applications, tough thing to do if your using a hand gun!
    3. what to do with left over material in the tank when the day is over. Never happens with a small unit.
    4. while not as important to production carrying a big spray tank always (to me) looks sloppy and is hard to load on and off your truck/van

both have their place and I would think about your purchase for the future not what you need now. Hope this gives you food for thought, good luck.

5. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have done a little more thinking about this topic as well as talking to some friends in the industry and I'm convinced a Perma/Z-Spray are the way to go. Now I just need to enure I can keep the machine busy enough to justify the expense.

6. slt40

slt40 LawnSite Member
    from nc

Well, I guess you could, but you can't spray much---Fungicides require much more H20 than herbicides.

7. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

STARTING OUT NOTHING BEATS A TRUCK MOUNTED SPRAYER. I GOT MINE ALL KINDS OF CUSTOMIZED. I GOT A BIG DAY TOMORROW SO I WILL POST ON THIS LATER. FEEL FREE TO SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE . I WILL TRY AND HELP YOU OUT AS LONG AS YOU ARENT IN MY MARKET HERE IN PA / NJ. SOME OF THE TRICKS ARE PRICELESS AND TOOK 10 YEARS TO DEVELOP. CAN YOU SAY CONSULTING FEE ? payup NAH , IM NOT LIKE THAT......SO IF I CAN HELP JUST SEND ME THAT PM . TIME TO HIT THE HAY. BE BACK 2MORROW.