Hose Reel for blowouts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ground Master, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Got a digital camera for x-mas, so I thought I'd take a picture of my hose reel setup for blowouts before I take it off today.

I've had a couple of these old hannay hose reels laying around and I finally put one to good use. There is 120' of 3/4" goodyear hose on the reel now. It could easily hold another 50. I ran the wiring between the cab and bed, underneath truck to the battery.

Its been an awesome setup, no more lugging that damn hose around.

hosereel2.jpg

2. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Beautiful setup...im envious...im still lugging around that hose day after day! What does a reel setup like that cost...and where are they sold? Anyone else have anything similar?

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

You can buy those reels, either with manual crank or electric at any place that sells spraying equipment. I think its a great idea, don't know why I didn't think about it. I've got an extra reel from an old hydromulcher just sitting there. It won't sit there much longer

Doug Austreim
    Austreim Landscaping

4. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

is that reel always kept there or is it a seasonal modification? and where do I look to find a compressor to do blow outs? I have been using a small 6 cfm model and it takes forever to do larger jobs. I probably need something that probably goes to 30 or 40 cfm... what brand or model?

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

The hose reel just bolts on.........a seasonal modification. Four bolts and its off.

I believe they sell for 400 new. I've had the hose for years. If I remember correctly it cost around a 100 bucks. I use 1/2" quick couplers for hooking up the various fittings for blowing out systems.

I have 2 other hosereels sitting around. Thought I might sell 1 or both.

6. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I have got a good hose reel from a friend that worked for REEL Kraft in Indiana, my original reply asked what kind of compressor do you use with your real? gas or diesel what are the specs. that reel you use looks like a hydroseeder reel... very HD...

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

We use diesel 185 cfm compressors. If your systems don't exceed 25 gpm a 100 to 125 cfm is enough. We always adjust the regulator to 70-75 psi cut out which should yield 50+psi when working on smaller systems. I open both vavles wide open when setting pressure to see what working pressure will be.

On larger jobs we crank down the regulator more to get the pressure up to 60+ psi while working. Cut down too low the regulator won't let the engine and compressor spin enough rpm to get the full vloume of air. It's easy to do on site if needed.

We don't shut down between zones. Just let the clock run. One 2 minute pass per zone will do most zones. On large jobs dump the main through 1 0r 2 most distant zones initially then start going through zone by zone. Really large system will take a 2nd 1-2 minute shot and occasionally a 3rd short burst. It is not necessary to be totally desert dry. BUT, you don't want any residual filling a low section of pipe and breaking.

The 185 will loaf along quietly while the smaller ones will work a little harder. Get a big job and the 185 screams. The diesels are soooo much easier on fuel. They'll save several gallons a day over gas.

I rent compressors every year. Most tool/equipment rental yards will have them.

Plan your work carefully. Here in NJ days a weeks rental is the same as 3 single days. 3 weeks equals a month (28 days). So you don''t want to turn them in prematurely if it is gonna cost you the same$$$. Also find out what the partial period billing policy is. some places can be a xxxx. Example if you keep the machine for 1 week and 4 days they will bill you for 1 week and 4 separate days. It's a stupid penalty cause you could keep it for one more day and just 2 weeks rental. So site on them if you can casue you can sometimes pick up a few extra jobs for zero more rental dollars.

8. LP

LP LawnSite Member

This may sound a little bazare but we always rent our compressor from hd and this year we had an isolated call for a blow out and shut-down., did not want to rent for one job and I thought about this husky cig lightr adapting tire compressure I use on my lawn trucks , so I cut off the end put on an adapter added 50 ft hose plugged it into my lighter and it
    worked like a charm. It was an 8 zone system! I paid 18 bucks for that little dude.........

9. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Air compressors are realatively low maintainence, especially when being used mainly for blowouts. We bought one that had been on rental for a season. That was quite a few years ago. Other than a battery and normal lube changes etc, we have had no further costs. It has paid for itself several times over as compared to rent. We picked up a used jack hammer and now when we run into that occassional piece of concrete that is a problem at a landscape job, we've got the jackhammer to take it out.

We also have the freedom to do those slightly out of season jobs that always crop up. We have one client that goes south about a month before most people want to stop watering. Not a problem since we don't have to rent the machine.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

10. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

ground master... what kind of compressor were you using in that pic? truck mounted or tow behind?

I just got a tow behind and am trying to get a hannay reel like that but don't know how I would mount it on the actual compressor... would I have to mount the reel in the truck?

anyone know where I can find a used hannay air powered reel that can hold about 200' of 3/4''?