Hose reel power supply

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by VARMIT COMMISSION, Jan 4, 2009.

1. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a deep cycle battery to supply power to my electric hose reel on my trailer. How do you guy's use the truck power supply to use with hose reel? Are you tapping the trailer wire for power, or you running a wire all the way to the battery?

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I fried my trailer power supply wire running it through my 9 pin connector. I got a 6 gage wire with a fusable link that goes right to my truck battery from Minnesota Wanner. I think it ran me about $70.00. I have to be careful now with that much power. My hose could rip out a small tree and it's VERY fast!!! lol

3. went to the battery on the truck and added a breaker for protection and ran it back.

I might add with good heavy wire.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Yep..

I also ran to truck batter with fuse.

5. VARMIT COMMISSION

You guys running 6 guage wire also?

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

What amp fuse?...also?
    Thanks

7. VARMIT COMMISSION

Are you guys just using a zip tie along the frame and up to battery?

8. ToniDavies

ToniDavies LawnSite Member

We use a 10/2 double insulated wire with a heavy rubber outer protective cover zip tied to the under body of truck up to the battery. You will also want to use a 40 amp circuit breaker.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

I am running only 12 ga wire and should up grade to a heaver wire size. I only used an outside extension cord and cut it in half to use the original plug ends to connect the trailer to the truck. So far no problem but reading this gets me thinking I might have too much resistance and not enough amps for the life of the motor.

On my cab-over I only have 10 ga but a much shorter distance from the battery just under the frame to the hose reels above. From my first power reel on I have used only 10 ga wire but they have always been on the truck and a shorter distance than my now trailer with power hose reel. Besides my Cab-Over I have two 5 X 10 trailers with skid sprayer set up. The 50 gal hand crank reel is used for all those one time special jobs that can be a PITA to set up for. The other 300 gal which I only load 200 gal is used for straight insect treatment with out any fertilizer.

While Trailers can be a PITA to park or turn around on some jobs. They are a very economy way to set up equipment. Both my trailers were set up from equipment I had from my days of the big show. But now as a one man band, I find trailers to come in very handy and use them more than I expected.

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

6 gauge here, with a 50 or 100 amp fuse/breaker at the battery. Then using a 2 pole 40 or 60 amp plug (male and female) to connect the hose reel to the truck lead. I have the female end on the back of the truck right there with the trailer plug. Spray tank on a trailer. I don't do the back of the truck because I don't spray every day and it's much too hard to get it in and out of the truck bed.

I recall that I went with 6ga. because the book on the hanney reel was very clear about not using less because of the amp draw of the motor and if the wire was too small it actually stresses the motor and can burn it up... Now, I've also seen other guys running off their trailer plug too, and this is a guy that does fert full time, so it can work obviously. I just wanted mine to be right.

One other note, i also went with 6ga because I was runnning from the engine compartment all the way to the back of the truck, then another 10 feet onto the trailer. That's a long ron for 12 volt. On my latest truck I just tied onto the line side of the solenoid for the bed hoist (dump bed) so the run is only 6 or 8 feet now, could probably get by with smaller wire if I had too.