hose reels and hoses

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Sep 11, 2005.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

got an almost brand new ingersoll rand 185cfm compressor... very excited

anybody have a nice hose reel setup they're real proud of? I cannot for the life of me get somebody to give me a quote on a new power hanny reel...

I'd like to go all out for this compressor and get like 200' of hose on a reel that I can mount on the front of the compressor...

what is the "correct" size hose to be using? I was using 3/8 in the past but think I'll step up to the 3/4 now that I have the volume... anybody seriously recommend anything more than that?

lets say money was no option... what would your setup be? (and I guess places I can find it)

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

200 feet of hose on a 185 cfm compressor could merit 1ΒΌ" ID hose, as you could see from a friction loss chart. Smaller hose would introduce friction heating of the air at full flow. Of course, the question is, will you ever see full flow from the compressor when blowing out a system? Hannay makes powered reels, and they have a website. Same with Reelcraft.

3. BSME

from Midwest

wet boots, you have a good link for air friction charts?

I just wanted the extra length to have just in case and to cool the air from the compressor... I usually never need more than 100'.... what if I kept 100' on the reel and an extra 100 in the bed in case I can't get there?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I just googled up some <a href=http://www.greenlinehose.com/Catalogs%2005/Hose%20-%20Technical%20Information.pdf>tech specs</a> (pages 4 and 5) - if you adjust the pressure to 60 psi, I'm not sure how much heat the compressed air will contain. It may depend on whether or not you have 'head unloaders' in that compressor.

I got some essential aid from the tow-behind's heated air one time, since the blowout valve was in a flooded underground vault, whose sump-pump installation had gotten condensation enough to trip its GFI supply, and the hot air from the compressor hose dried out the electrical box and plug enough to get the power back up, to allow access to the valves.

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

6. BSME

from Midwest

wow... all the way from 2002... thanks

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Try titan hose reels.